OffRoadinFrontier

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
i've had a AMD64 3200+ setup for a while now, and was wondering what the normal temperatures were for idle and full throttle. currently, i'm using thermaltake's huge tower cooler with two of thermaltakes 80mm's (temp. controlled speed), and i'm getting:

idle: between 29 and 30 c.
10% for ~20 min: 31 c.
65% for ~35 min: 32-34 c.
100%: haven't fully measured.

i have not installed AMDs power management drivers to drop the CPU clock at idle, but i would assume this would further help drop my idle temp?

would anyone know how well switching to water cooling would help? or better, is it even worth it?

-thanks-

aragorn234

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I am no expert by any means but I do have some experience with heat issues. I had a P4 and did some searching on temps for all processors. If I were you I would be quite happy and comfortable with these temps. THey are not extreme at all.

If I remember correctly (this is going back about 18 - 24 months) THe P4 is rated to run upto around the 80 degree mark before it is dangerous and the AMD were rated even higher around the 90 - 100 degrees.

Anyone have any concrete info on temps for processors.

AMD should have some charts that show temps for various chips

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you high? My freaking SUMMER WEATHER gets hotter than your idle temps, and I live in MICHIGAN. No, cool and quiet will actually increase your temperatures slightly, the system knows that anything under 55C is wonderfull and reduces cooling in order to reduce noise.

OffRoadinFrontier

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
lmao, well that's good.

i don't think the cool n' quiet would make it hotter, my fans aren't powered through the motherboard, they hook to the PS and have their own thermal sensors that i've placed as close to the CPU as possible.

so under 55 is good... an update on the idle temp, on boot, if I leave it sitting there with not a thing running at all (true idle, i guess), the temp is anywhere between 24 and 29 c., not 29 and 30 c.

so i'm guessing water cooling is unnecessary at this point in time...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, I was dealing with "Cool and Quiet", a CPU feature, in combination with thermal fan control, which is a motherboard feature. Yes, Cool and Quiet can reduce your idle temperatures when cooling remains constant, but in this case it would be "Cool and same noise".

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
29C = 84F (Idle)
34C = 93F (Load) (Normal Northwood temp)
55C = 131F (Normal Prescott temp)
80C = 176F (time to be Concerned)
100C = 212F (boils water, CPU pain)

Your temps are excellent. Overclock it already. :mrgreen:

Ignoring the nickname, ChipDeath is right on the money!!!!

TRENDING THREADS