CPU Throtle, loose 24 pin connector.

Silkjaer007

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Hello

I'm recently having issues with my system, where my CPU is being throttled to only handle 0.8 Ghz and utilization doesn't get higher than 8-10%.

System has been through a fresh re-install of Windows 10, and i checked it for virus.

Specs:
i7 6700K
Asus z170 Pro Gaming
2x8 Gb Kingston Hyperx 2400 Mhz.
Corsair TX850w 80 plus Bronze
gigabyte 1070 Gaming g1.

When i wiggle a little at the 24 pin power connector, it seems like the system loses some power and then comes back online, like it just lost power and suddenly get some again.

I've just dusted it off with a compressor, and it seems like that GPU has no problems with reaching 50% utilization at all. So my suspicions is at the 24 pin connector.

Wiggling it even 'a little' shouldn't cause it to lose power as there are several redundant power and ground wires in those 24 pins. Remove the connector and examine each pin carefully to see if any are deformed or not properly seated. Re-attach it and make sure the connector is solidly bottomed in the socket with the latch closed. Give each wire a bit of a tug to make sure each connector pin is solidly locked in place, then a push just to make sure it's solidly seated.

Even if there is a lose connection there, however, I don't think it would cause your CPU to throttle back. That's something else: possibly thermal throttling?

Silkjaer007

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Thermal issues is not a thing, when it can't reach above the 6-10% utilization, the temperatures measures no more than 20 deg Celsius. And when i OC'ed it, thermals reached no higher than 75 deg celsius, however only in spiked periods.

Forgot to mention, that it get no more than 0.800 Volt and can't seem to get more, where it normally would get 1.200 volt under normal operations...

I'll check the pins once i get back to my desktop. So far, it seems to attach just fine to the 24 connector. But better be safe than sorry.

Silkjaer007

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016

Thermal issues is not a thing, when it can't reach above the 6-10% utilization, the temperatures measures no more than 20 deg Celsius. And when i OC'ed it, thermals reached no higher than 75 deg celsius, however only in spiked periods.

Forgot to mention, that it get no more than 0.800 Volt and can't seem to get more, where it normally would get 1.200 volt under normal operations...

I'll check the pins once i get back to my desktop. So far, it seems to attach just fine to the 24 connector. But better be safe than sorry.