CPU throttle problem

neon4

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Hello,
I asked about this in the motherboard section, because I though it could be cause be the MOSFET not being cooled down enough, but thanks to the opinions of a few other forum members, I got an idea it could be cause by the CPU not being cooled down enough.

Here are my PC specifications
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (with other fans I think it has good enough airflow)
Motherboard: AsRock 990FX Extreme3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090t - OCed to 4Ghz Stable
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Evo
PSU: Forton Aurum 600W

I know he motherboard isn't the best, but changing it is unfortunately not an option.

Here are the results obtained from HW Monitor and Core Temp after running wPrime test:
HW%20Monitor_zpssqh4jzpo.jpg

Core%20Temp_zpsncatseex.jpg

I read that the CPUTIN temp is the temp on the CPU surface, not sure about it though and the CPU just underclocks whenever the CPUTIN reaches ~62 degrees, I see it in the CPU-Z or Core Temp (200 x20 changes to 200 x4), it is for a few seconds until it cools down itself to ~55 degrees, rinse and repeat. Therefore the throttling. It doesn't care about core temps being low.

The CPU is OCed to 4Ghz Stable, any function in the BIOS that has the ability to auto-control the clock speed is turned off.

What could cause the CPU throttling?
Could it really be the CPU cooler or the VRM overheating?

neon4

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I solved it. Purchased a better CPU cooler (my choice specifically was the CM Nepton 240m) and also a small fan to cool down the MOSFET on the motherboard. Now it doesn't underclock itself anymore! :)

Unfortunately I can't pick my own comments as the solution =P

TRENDING THREADS