[SOLVED] CPU throttle, with low temps

Dec 23, 2018
My cpu was thermal throttling, and the temps were high (>90C), I changed the thermal paste and installed a new cooler hyper cooler 212; and the temps dropped to 30C and the thermal throttle stopped; however I just installed a new SSD, and though the temps are fine when I boot from the SSD, instead of the HDD, the intel program says it’s still thermal throttling (temps are fine at 30C). I’m curious if a driver is missing, or what’s causing the thermal throttle when booting from the SSD and not the HDD.
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D EVO
CPU: intel i7 quad core, 2.8 ghz

Using intel xtu program to see thermal throttle.

Thanks

Solution

maybe its throttling for other reasons and you the extreme utility doesn't know? did you try to disable speedstep? tho if its in the ssd it might be a program thats doing something to your pc.

first, try to disable speedstep and turbo mode in your bios
if you do not know how to do that, ill guide you through it. coincidentally, I have that exact motherboard cpu combo right near me

(my dad's pc is exactly that one. p7p55d evo, i7 870) so I will be able to guide you...

you have the same cpu I had before, a i7 870, I now have the 8700k lol

but looking at the issue, are you sure its THERMAL throttling? and if so, to what ghz? are you sure its not speedstep doing its job? turbo on intel chips make them go fast when cold and need to do something quick, and speedstep slows the cpu when needed to keep thermals down and keep longevity of the cpu and vrms up. try going in the bios and disable speedstep, if you do not know how, just ask (its in the bios, next to turbo)

Dec 23, 2018
I have the intel extreme tuning utility open, to see the cpu numbers. It has a reading that says thermal throttling, and it’s occuring when I load up windows on my new SSD drive, but not my old HDD. I’m wondering why this is happening, my games, etc seem to be fine

maybe its throttling for other reasons and you the extreme utility doesn't know? did you try to disable speedstep? tho if its in the ssd it might be a program thats doing something to your pc.

first, try to disable speedstep and turbo mode in your bios
if you do not know how to do that, ill guide you through it. coincidentally, I have that exact motherboard cpu combo right near me

(my dad's pc is exactly that one. p7p55d evo, i7 870) so I will be able to guide you with 100% accuracy.

if that still doesn't fix the issue, I would format your ssd.

Solution