[SOLVED] CPU throttles under seemingly identical conditions as when it runs smoothly

Aug 18, 2020
I'm on a macbook pro 2016 15" running Windows 10 through bootcamp with an eGPU 5700 XT.
CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s).

So the problem I have is throttling but it does not appear as simple as "play game = throttle". I am able to run my game at stable-ish FPS for hours without throttling at e.g. 2.7Mhz. But then "suddenly" e.g. starting a new game it kicks into throttle mode where it will alternate ever few seconds between 2.7 and 0.8. Like here in the right half of the image you can see the processor goes heywild.

cVE6vcx.png

What really irks me is that yesterday I played on the same game, same map, everything the same and it ran on a stable FPS, stable CPU speed. Stable everything. The temperatures seems equal today and yesterday as well, it hovers around 55-60 C.

Today I had stutters and I used ThrottleStop, ticking the "Disable Turbo" seemed to work. Restarting the round (each takes around 30m) suddenly kicked in the throttles again. At this time I tried unticking the "BD PROCHOT" which also seems to work, the Mhz goes up to 2.7Ghz but the CPU temp all inches towards 95++ which caused at least one crash. So I want to get back to the state of yesterday, where I can play at 2.7Ghz, stable FPS and stable everything.

Now as to what I am trying.. to be honest I am using way too much stuff and I feel I am clicking around almost randomly. The apps I am trying are:
  • ThrottleStop - Disable turbo / BD PROCHOT / some voltage (seems to not work)
  • QuickCPU - Disable turbo boost / set min / max CPU speed (min seems to not work)
  • XTU - All I can do in this one is to change Turbo Boost Short on/off and the Wattage
  • Afterburner for overlay and stats
  • Lasso - to make set CPU affinity and priority (based on game specific FPS increase tutorials)
Note that I TRY to not use them at the same time, but at points I've definitely done so. I am also not sure if the settings in each app is applied only when they are open or if it persists when they are closed aslo. I'd like to go back to a "default" state of the laptop settings, but not sure if just closing them is equal to that.

So what I just now (while writing this thread) tried was to turn OFF BD PROCHOT but also limit the Mhz of the CPU. The results seems.... fine maybe? the temps are not ever increasing before (will have to try in a real game tomorrow) and the FPS are kinda stable, although limiting the speed of the CPU also decreases the FPS. I was able to get around 50 FPS around 70-80 C, not sure if that's fine. But it kinda sucks since I got at least 50-60-70-80 yesterday with temps hovering around 55-60 for hours of gaming.. Here are the temps and QuickCPU settings I tried for this. View: https://imgur.com/a/GU8Jbuk

The system is very playable if I can just get around this issues that seems to happen only sometimes, I'd rather not spend 3x more just to get a PC :( I feel this is solvable.

ANY help is appreciated, I know there's been a lot of threads like this but I didn't find someone that seemingly could run

Solution
So I’m well aware of the limitations of laptops and why it throttles. The problems is that in game session A it might throttle and then in B it works fine without any changes. So I know the machine is capable of running it nicely.

I play in AC room, not above 24*. I might try a cooling pad but at the point of throwing money at it I’ll just buy the rest of the PC.

Not sure what you mean for the eGPU. Without it I get 5 FPS in the menu. Benchmarks go from 20 -> 195 FPS so it’s certainly doing something.

For the XTU limits. Removing the limits would possibly increase the strain and cause more throttling? Or am I not understanding what removing the limits means.

Thanks
Ok I see where your coming from I totally...
Aug 18, 2020
Remove the duration limits within XTU as that is installed, and see if that helps...

I've never had issues in Balanced Power Plan mode, but, try Performance mode if necessary.,
I’m currently using “ultimate Performance”.

and as for the limitations, you mean to set it longer or even unlimited? As I understand you’re talking about the short/long turbo durations? And as I understand for gaming the turbo is kind of what I am trying to turn off rather than extend, what’s your theory I’m doing this? I’ll try it still, fyi.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I’m currently using “ultimate Performance”.

and as for the limitations, you mean to set it longer or even unlimited? As I understand you’re talking about the short/long turbo durations? And as I understand for gaming the turbo is kind of what I am trying to turn off rather than extend, what’s your theory I’m doing this? I’ll try it still, fyi.
Also to add to this, you wrote a entire book up top my friend for a simple situation. You change power plans or restore defaults and set to performance and also must realize on a laptop no only battery drains but also it gets really warm, so when things get warm to save itself the CPU will throttle and underclock and unervolt. So in all honesty you don't have a problem here. Perhaps that laptop was not meant for gaming and rather desktop usage and some tiny bit of photo work or video work and what not. The eGPU also doesn't help your gaming cause and what not. You can buy coolers for laptop and you place it on it and it has fans that blow under neat it to keep it cool and I bet you shouldn't have this problem any more. Or if you live in a hot area don't game outdoors and to it indoors with AC and what not. Now if you have it on performance plan and XTU limits removed and your still experiencing this sorry to say there is nothing you can about it except to take my advice and game in cool environments and what not. 💯🙉

Aug 18, 2020
Also to add to this, you wrote a entire book up top my friend for a simple situation. You change power plans or restore defaults and set to performance and also must realize on a laptop no only battery drains but also it gets really warm, so when things get warm to save itself the CPU will throttle and underclock and unervolt. So in all honesty you don't have a problem here. Perhaps that laptop was not meant for gaming and rather desktop usage and some tiny bit of photo work or video work and what not. The eGPU also doesn't help your gaming cause and what not. You can buy coolers for laptop and you place it on it and it has fans that blow under neat it to keep it cool and I bet you shouldn't have this problem any more. Or if you live in a hot area don't game outdoors and to it indoors with AC and what not. Now if you have it on performance plan and XTU limits removed and your still experiencing this sorry to say there is nothing you can about it except to take my advice and game in cool environments and what not. 💯🙉
So I’m well aware of the limitations of laptops and why it throttles. The problems is that in game session A it might throttle and then in B it works fine without any changes. So I know the machine is capable of running it nicely.

I play in AC room, not above 24*. I might try a cooling pad but at the point of throwing money at it I’ll just buy the rest of the PC.

Not sure what you mean for the eGPU. Without it I get 5 FPS in the menu. Benchmarks go from 20 -> 195 FPS so it’s certainly doing something.

For the XTU limits. Removing the limits would possibly increase the strain and cause more throttling? Or am I not understanding what removing the limits means.

Thanks

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020

Thanks
Ok I see where your coming from I totally undestand. You must realize each game is different a different engine and a different pounding it will do on your laptop. For example Call of Duty will pound you or PUBG. While playing CS:GO or a RTS I bet anything you won't have this problem ya know. All I can recommend at this point is buy a laptop cooler. Should not cost you much compared to the headache it is giving you. Try to find it on ebay for a cheaper price. Amazon would be nice to but do some research for the right size to fit your laptop and just place it on it and fan or fans will blow right at it keeping it cool. Good Luck and let me know of any further concerns or issues. 💯👨🏽‍🦲

Solution
Aug 18, 2020
Ok I see where your coming from I totally undestand. You must realize each game is different a different engine and a different pounding it will do on your laptop. For example Call of Duty will pound you or PUBG. While playing CS:GO or a RTS I bet anything you won't have this problem ya know. All I can recommend at this point is buy a laptop cooler. Should not cost you much compared to the headache it is giving you. Try to find it on ebay for a cheaper price. Amazon would be nice to but do some research for the right size to fit your laptop and just place it on it and fan or fans will blow right at it keeping it cool. Good Luck and let me know of any further concerns or issues. 💯👨🏽‍🦲
Just to clarify I meant game session, as in rounds within the game. I play only one game (Escape from tarkov) which by all accounts is CPU heavy. Anyway I’ll try the XTU limits tonight.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Just to clarify I meant game session, as in rounds within the game. I play only one game (Escape from tarkov) which by all accounts is CPU heavy. Anyway I’ll try the XTU limits tonight.
I understand, I have actually never heard of that game is it a AAA titles or a RPG or RTS or what not? Yes the XTU limits might fix your situation and most probably will but remember what I said about laptops as you already know anyways but ya your end solution could be the laptop cooling device you can buy for it. Good Luck 💯🙏🏽

Aug 18, 2020
I understand, I have actually never heard of that game is it a AAA titles or a RPG or RTS or what not? Yes the XTU limits might fix your situation and most probably will but remember what I said about laptops as you already know anyways but ya your end solution could be the laptop cooling device you can buy for it. Good Luck 💯🙏🏽

I don’t think it qualifies as an AAA title, less than 100 dev team afaik. It’s a hardcore FPS mixed with RPG progression elements. Slower gameplay with high tension. Pretty fun.

So for XTU limits, I should be setting them low wattage, or high?

Aug 18, 2020
Kinda small non-update, I did some stress testing and it appears the most stable-ish way for me will be to use QuickCPU to:
  • Turn OFF Bi-Directional PROCHOT (throttle notification, basically)
  • Set the CPU speed to max 2600 or 2700 Mhz via SpeedShift tab
  • Disable turbo boost (I think this is done automatically when enabling SpeedShift)
Around 2600/2700 Mhz it seems that my CPU temp is around 77-80, which is exactly around the temp the throttle kicks in. So turning the throttle notification off allows me to stay right on the edge.

Images View: https://imgur.com/a/j6hSBFf

---

Now another question I have is weather it is possible to undervolt my processor. For this app says it is not https://volta.garymathews.com/ but on this page it seems to say that it IS supported in SkyLake processor which I have https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu/features/intel/integrated-voltage-regulator anyone can give a straight answer on this? before I tinker yet again

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
That sounds great man Im happy for you. Now your set after changing those configs. They have them in place for people that aren't like you and do hardcore gaming on it instead they do office work or general desktop that si why the measures are in placfe. Also 80c for a laptop CPU is excellent while gaming. These will go up to 100c and still work fine so your set my friend. Any other concerns hit me up. 💯👨🏽‍🦲

Aug 18, 2020
Yeah, after 1-2 hours of gaming now I can confirm it works well. Temps are around 85-89 mostly so far and MHz usually at 2700 with occasional drops to 2300-2400. Works well enough for me for now. Thanks 💯