Question CPU Throttling, but has good thermals

Jan 26, 2020
I have an i7 6700k in my build currently and whenever the CPU gets over 70% usage it starts throttling to .74 GHz randomly in intense areas of red dead redemption 2 which is odd because under heavy load it only gets to 70 degrees Celcius. I've reset my bios, changed power settings in windows, and tried upping the voltage to my CPU, and I just don't know what to do anymore, if anyone has had this happen to them, please let me know. View: https://imgur.com/MpENzLF

Thanks!

My specs are,

i7 6700k
RTX 2070
32 Gb ram

Well, what do you mean by heavy load? If you mean gaming and it's 70c, then that's kinda high. If you meant stress testing with Prime95, then 70c on small fft's, that would be pretty damn good. Fine margins.

Anyway, I'd start by finding out your true temps. Use prime95 small ffts, and see what your temps are at for a given voltage. Then report back. You can use HWMon/info to monitor CPU temps/voltage etc with max/min values.

70C is actually golden, anything under 80C is fine, under 70 is superb, but 70 ish is perfectly fine. Throttle shouldn't occur until a bit more than 100ish C so maybe your temps reading are wrong.
try RealTemp or HWMonitor to check those temps, else, something else has set 70C to be the throttle threshold when its way higher.

Jan 26, 2020
Well, what do you mean by heavy load? If you mean gaming and it's 70c, then that's kinda high. If you meant stress testing with Prime95, then 70c on small fft's, that would be pretty damn good. Fine margins.

Anyway, I'd start by finding out your true temps. Use prime95 small ffts, and see what your temps are at for a given voltage. Then report back. You can use HWMon/info to monitor CPU temps/voltage etc with max/min values.
I don't know if RealTemp is working because when I ran prime95 it went up to only 50 degrees Celcius after like 10 minutes

Jan 26, 2020
Have you got any high temperatures being reported for the motherboard. That’s not a board I would choose for a 7700k. Also what cooler are you using, this is important not just for cpu temperature.
It was a prebuilt all I know is it's a stock water cooler from cyber power pc.

It was a prebuilt all I know is it's a stock water cooler from cyber power pc.
Ok that adds to my theory about overheating VRM’s. Water coolers remove the airflow created by an air cooler around the cpu which helps to cool surrounding components. A motherboard not suited for the higher power demands of a high end cpu and little airflow around the cpu would all be reasons for the VRM’s to overheat. When the VRM’s overheat they throttle the cpu to reduce the load on them.