Question CPU Throttling on Idle with temp of 99 degrees

May 22, 2020
Hello, I've had my computer for 4 years now running perfectly fine. I moved my pc to another house yesterday and suddenly I'm getting CPU Throttling and CPU temperature reaching 99 degrees. This is under load and idle. Never had these issues before. Did virus scan, sfc check in cmd, updated drives and reseated CPU with new thermal paste. I can hear my liquid cooling working and after looking at the bios, my CPU 2 fan starts at 2800rpm on reboot and start up. I cannot remember what this use to be prior to this issue. I've removed all components off my Motherboard and visually checked them over, no noticeable damage. Put them back and still no change.
I'm hoping there's something I can do before buying a new cooling system or Motherboard. Any advice would be appreciated.
I have a screen overlay that shows my CPU % and it ends up showing 100% after some time on idle and under load. Checking task manager doesn't show anything relating to that. Normally staying around 10-25% CPU load.
I'm also using Open Hardware Monitor to watch my CPU temperature. This shows my CPU core reaches 99 degrees Celsius and temperature #6 reaching around the same. While temperature 2, 3 and 4 staying around 25-30 degrees. There's no displayed temperature for 1 or 5.

My computer specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming G1 6GB
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Motherboard
Cooling: SilverStone Tundra TD03-SLIM AIO Liquid CPU cooler
Power: SilverStone Strider Gold 850W ST85F-GS
Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury HX318C10FK2/16 16GB (2x8GB) Blue x 2 (32gb total)

May 22, 2020
So, quick update.
I left my computer sitting for 5 days without turning it on. Decided to test it and it works perfectly. Left on Idle for a few hours, temperature didn't fluctuate and stayed steady. Decided to test it under load and it worked fine.
I have received my new CPU cooling but have yet to install it.
The only thought I have with this, is the liquid inside my CPU cooling mustn't of been sitting right and leaving it for a few days made it settle down. If any more issues pop up I'll update the thread.

Jul 5, 2020
Hi @Bradzo101 - I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Moved my PC to a new apartment, tried taking components out, inspecting motherboard, checked all fan connections, applied new cooling paste, etc.

My PC starts out at 69 degrees when i enter BIOS and within 5minuts it's running 99 degrees.

What exactly did you do to let it fix itself? Just let it stand upright for a few days?

Thanks in advance.

May 22, 2020
Hello @gooble97, honestly I left my computer alone for 5 days sitting upright and didn't touch it at all. Unfortunately there's not much else I can say that I did, it just started working.
I think it might of had something to do with the liquid cooling not sitting correctly and since mine is a sealed unit I couldn't check to confirm this.
I haven't replaced my CPU cooling or any component as it's all working correctly now.
I hope it starts working for you soon mate.

Jul 5, 2020
Okay! ;)

My pump seems to be blocked in one tube, so might need to replace it completely. I hope it will fix it - and thanks! Have a nice day and thank you for replying.

TRENDING THREADS