[SOLVED] CPU throttling - replaced paste etc

Jun 14, 2021
I bought a customer watercooled pc from Overclockers many years ago, for a long period it sat unused however recently I decided to start trying to get some usage out of it.

Newer version of my rig is here - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/infi...-watercooled-extreme-gaming-pc-fs-451-oe.html
My current rig has same watercooling system.

SSD wasnt benchmarked as it was full at the time, not its 59.4gb free of 110gb and the secondary hdd is 767gb free of 931gb.

Standard tasks are running slow, gaming is crippled 5-10fps on Enlisted and minimum spec.

I have replaced the thermal paste to no joy, cpu temperature dropped down to 45c but shot up within 5-10min on the game. to 90-93c, stopped playing 25min ago and it's dropped to 70c. Hwmonitor has fans at 4800rpm average. Rams at 35c, GPU at 43c.
All fans spinning as expected.

Solution
I bought a customer watercooled pc from Overclockers many years ago, for a long period it sat unused however recently I decided to start trying to get some usage out of it.

Newer version of my rig is here - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/infi...-watercooled-extreme-gaming-pc-fs-451-oe.html

SSD wasnt benchmarked as it was full at the time, not its 59.4gb free of 110gb and the secondary hdd is 767gb free of 931gb.

Standard tasks are running slow, gaming is crippled 5-10fps on Enlisted and minimum spec.

I have replaced the thermal paste to no joy, cpu...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

I have replaced the thermal paste to no joy, cpu temperature dropped down to 45c but shot up within 5-10min on the game. to 90-93c, stopped playing 25min ago and it's dropped to 70c. Hwmonitor has fans at 4800rpm average. Rams at 35c, GPU at 43c.
All fans spinning as expected.

If I understand it correctly, it's normal initial idle temps that shoots up quick under load, and the temps don't stabilize back to normal after load is removed.

Either a bad mount, or dead pump. Recheck the mounting pressure, make sure it's tight. For dead pump, usually the block/head unit is warm to the touch even when idling, and you can't feel a soft, humming vibration when putting your hand on the block. Double-check with BIOS to see if it spins and detected by the system.

If you're not sure about the pressure, take a pic of how the paste squishes out and upload them to Imgur or imgbb then link the pics here. A well mounted cooler should leave a thin, uniform layer of paste underneath.

Alternatively, if your cooler has no spacers underneath the cooler, you can try pushing in the block towards the CPU while the PC is under load and see if temps drop.

Solution
Jun 14, 2021
I checked the pressure and the paste the CPU block is definitely secure against the CPU/paste.

The water pump also appears to be functioning but the CPU block was warm/hot. Not enough that I couldn't touch it but definitely holding a fair bit of heat. Would it be worth draining the coolant and flushing it with distilled water several times?

CmdData

Commendable
Jun 14, 2021
If it sat in your room for a long time it could happen that sediment has started to settle on the inside of the pipes. Take off the fans and see if the radiator becomes hot to the touch, if it doesn't it means that there is barely any heat transfer occurring and that might indicate clogged or severely underflowing pipes

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I checked the pressure and the paste the CPU block is definitely secure against the CPU/paste.

The water pump also appears to be functioning but the CPU block was warm/hot. Not enough that I couldn't touch it but definitely holding a fair bit of heat. Would it be worth draining the coolant and flushing it with distilled water several times?

Assuming the pump is working fine, then yeah, the only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is the flow from pump to rad.

I assume the pump is visible in BIOS as well?