Question CPU Throttling

realIK17

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
Hi I own a matebook x pro with i5-8250u. I was able to play games like empire total war and Rome total war until recently. I didn't change the power adapter or anything. Now, whenever I start a game like pillars of eternity 2, the computer just throttle the CPU to 1000mhz. It usually runs at 3200mhz. I tried to use throttlestop and changed the speed shift and offset voltage settings, but the CPU continues to throttle the frequency. Please help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

realIK17

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
I have exactly the same thought as sizzling.

The most common cause of throttling is in response to the CPU detecting it is above T-max and approaching T-critical.
You are maybe right. The machine is throttling because of the temperature. However, I could play empire total war just a week before. Now I can't even play Rome total war. I don't know what happened.

realIK17

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
Ok this suggests something else.

When in game what are the cpu (on each core) and gpu usages, also what is the gpu temperature?
It's low. The throttlestop says all the threads are like around 30. I don't have a dedicated GPU. My GPU comes from my CPU.

realIK17

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
Try setting Windows power plan to high performance if it is not already.
Sorry I forgot to mention this in the first thread. I did change the power plan to high performance. No effect. I changed the processor states to 100%. No effect. It seems like the machine only throttles when the integrated GPU hits 100% on 3d.