[SOLVED] CPU to pair with 2080ti

jrbar89

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I have been slowly putting together my pc and upgrading it. It running great now but I'm trying to figure out what the next move is.

2560x1440 monitor 144hz 4ms (1ms with the strobe feature)
Gigabyte 2080 ti oc just upgraded from a 2060
CPU i7-6700k (corsair watercooled)
MOBO HP 2B4B (stock hp board that came with cpu)
16 gb Ram
512 ssd
600 Watt psu

needing some input on what route I should take. Im thinking upgrading the MOBO and overclocking the CPU since i have a water cooler. Down the road upgrade the CPU to a i7-9700k from looking around this is the best gaming option. But im not sure if it will pair well with the 2080 ti.

Or

Just go all in on an AMD option

ryzen 7 3700x i'm looking at but i hear i would most likely need to upgrade to faster and more ram.

really wanting the best bang for the buck that will allow me optimize the rig to its fullest potential. But if I need to spend more I wont mind it just don't want diminishing returns.

this build is weird with some of its parts i know but I had to work with what I could get. the cpu mobo combo was 100. Water cooler found for 15. Ram I bought a year ago for 100 on accident and threw it in this build. GPU I found a decent deal on I like to think for 800 and plan on reselling my 2060. SDD was free. Case was 40 and I had a bunch of random fans I threw into it. I would like to keep this theme going and get a deal on this next phase. Thanks for any input.

Solution
There will almost always be something holding back a system, its not really something to worry about unless its blatantly obvious (think i3 with a 2080).
Could you get better performance? Yeah maybe. But would that really matter in the long run if you are happy now? Probably not.
Once you begin to get unhappy with performance youll get far more out of your money.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you want bang for buck, then the answer is none - roll with what you got for a while.
Neither of those cpus offer a worthwhile gain over what you currently have. You'd be looking to spend at least 400USD on a cpu 'upgrade' for up to a 10% bump overall.
Put the reins on that itch mate.

I wonder how long this '600w psu' will hold up with a 2080Ti though...

jrbar89

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
If you want bang for buck, then the answer is none - roll with what you got for a while.
Neither of those cpus offer a worthwhile gain over what you currently have. You'd be looking to spend at least 400USD on a cpu 'upgrade' for up to a 10% bump overall.
Put the reins on that itch mate.

I wonder how long this '600w psu' will hold up with a 2080Ti though...

The PSU is an old one I have had it for i want to think 5 or 6 years. From my previous FX build.

Since you said its running great now then the best thing you can do is wait.
Dosent matter what you plan now, something better is always going to be on the horizon, so assess your choices when the time comes.

It is running great 2k resolution upscaled to 150 % dont remember the resolution off top my head. I get an average of 90 frames on COD Warzone ultra everything and RTX on. If im in a building it will jump up to 120-140. But even if I turn off rtx and lower the settings im still around the same FPS. I would guess it was the Cpu holding me back as it is at stock speeds and with this mobo even if i add a multiplier of 47 it stays at stock speeds. I fell like there is something holding me back from maxing out my fps. Or am I being delusional and this is around what I should be getting and run with it.

There will almost always be something holding back a system, its not really something to worry about unless its blatantly obvious (think i3 with a 2080).
Could you get better performance? Yeah maybe. But would that really matter in the long run if you are happy now? Probably not.
Once you begin to get unhappy with performance youll get far more out of your money.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The PSU is an old one I have had it for i want to think 5 or 6 years. From my previous FX build.
If you start running into odd crashes and restarts, that would be the first thing to look into replacing.

I would guess it was the Cpu holding me back as it is at stock speeds and with this mobo even if i add a multiplier of 47 it stays at stock speeds
OEM mobo. No telling with them - there's probably some limitation in place keeping you from pushing the cpu further.