[SOLVED] CPU too hot under no actual load

Jul 12, 2020
Hey,
I've switched to a Ryzen 7 3700x a few days ago. While gaming my CPU reaches temperatures up to 70 °C while only handling a 30% load. My GPU however is at 95% load. Now that the CPUs temps are at 60 -70 °C you can hear the CPU fan pretty clearly. With no load on my GPU and a 97% load on my CPU it only reaches temps in the low 50s. I am wondering if it has anything to do with my B550 Motherboard.

I am using:
GTX 1070
ryzen 7 3700X
B550 Aorus Pro

Solution
Often times it's not a matter of the thermal paste, but the cooler is not even and and tight against the CPU; when correctly mounted, you should not be able to move the cooler. Also as said above, when is the last time you cleaned out the dust your case, your CPU fan and PSU intake? You may want to try running your PC with the side off and see if it helps.
Very valid. Equal mounting pressure can be just as important. If not more so. Though I have admittedly made the mistake in my early years of applying too much pressure. Ha ha. A little wiggle isn't exactly a bad thing, just so long as it's clearly not 'scraping'.

Dust is definitely a concern, however seeing as the OP said that they recently made the upgrade I doubt many...
Failing that, what's your airflow like through the case?
Often times it's not a matter of the thermal paste, but the cooler is not even and and tight against the CPU; when correctly mounted, you should not be able to move the cooler. Also as said above, when is the last time you cleaned out the dust your case, your CPU fan and PSU intake? You may want to try running your PC with the side off and see if it helps.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Very valid. Equal mounting pressure can be just as important. If not more so. Though I have admittedly made the mistake in my early years of applying too much pressure. Ha ha. A little wiggle isn't exactly a bad thing, just so long as it's clearly not 'scraping'.

Dust is definitely a concern, however seeing as the OP said that they recently made the upgrade I doubt many people would do a simple CPU change without at least attempting a basic dusting. Ha ha. Though they should definitely take a look and see if airflow through their cooler could be an issue. Good call. =)

Solution
Jul 12, 2020
Should be able to handle the 3700x just fine? At the very least not have temps as high as you're saying they are? Did you use the stock TIM that was pre-applied or add your own?

Failing that, what's your airflow like through the case?
Stock thermal paste but i have some of my own that i could try.
My Case is the Fractal Fesign meshify c. I've got two 140mm fans in the front. Airflow should be enough.

Jul 12, 2020
I'll check if the cooler is mounted correctly but the Wraith Prism doesn't allow many adjustments. There is basically no dust in my case. I clean it once every month and cleaned it thoroughly after installing the new MOBO and CPU.