[SOLVED] CPU turbo boost clock not constant

Apr 24, 2020
I've recently gotten an upgrade for my cpu and was surprised, that with all settings on default and no overclocking, the cpu boost clock is jumping.
All six cores could boost for a few seconds to 4,4 GHz and than went back to 4,3 GHz. Sometimes not all cores went to 4,4 GHz while the others stayed on 4,3 GHz. Refering the intel specs, the max turbo boost for 5-6 cores is 4,3 GHz. Comparing that to youtube video benchmarks, I' ve found no one with the same behaviour. I have tried different energy settings and recording. I dont find a setting called enhanced turbo in my bios. Temperatures are okay. Is there something wrong with the cpu?

I have the following components:
CPU: Intel i5 9600kf
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. B365M PRO-VDH(MS-7C39)

Solution
Refering the intel specs, the max turbo boost for 5-6 cores is 4,3 GHz.
Where did you read this?
Intel CPUs have started to turbo each core individually generations ago so intel has stopped publishing general turbo tables.

Max turbo for your CPU is 4.6 so depending on how easy the software is to run and depending on the settings of your motherboard and the amount of cooling you could have all cores run even up to 4.6.

Do you have MCE (multi core enhancemeny) in your bios?
Refering the intel specs, the max turbo boost for 5-6 cores is 4,3 GHz.
Where did you read this?
Intel CPUs have started to turbo each core individually generations ago so intel has stopped publishing general turbo tables.

Max turbo for your CPU is 4.6 so depending on how easy the software is to run and depending on the settings of your motherboard and the amount of cooling you could have all cores run even up to 4.6.

Do you have MCE (multi core enhancemeny) in your bios?

Solution
Apr 24, 2020
Thank you for your quick answer!

You are right. I didn't get the information direct from intel. I read this here: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i5/i5-9600kf#Frequencies. Is this information wrong?

Some google results let me think, that MCE on msi boards = Enhanced Turbo. I can't find either of these terms in the bios. Is this a feature, which is only available on Boards with Z-Chipset?

Why do other people with the same cpu and same game/application running have constant turbo boost clock? These people often show a comparison between overclocking and stock speed. That's why I suppose, the have pretty much cooling potential.

Thank you for your quick answer!

You are right. I didn't get the information direct from intel. I read this here: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i5/i5-9600kf#Frequencies. Is this information wrong?
It's their best guess and for stock settings it's probably correct.
Some google results let me think, that MCE on msi boards = Enhanced Turbo. I can't find either of these terms in the bios. Is this a feature, which is only available on Boards with Z-Chipset?
I'm not sure if it's on nonz board as well.MCE allows you to run all cores at the maximum turbo at the same time as long as the cooling allows it.
Why do other people with the same cpu and same game/application running have constant turbo boost clock? These people often show a comparison between overclocking and stock speed. That's why I suppose, the have pretty much cooling potential.
MCE and enough cooling will allow you to do that.

Apr 24, 2020
Okay, I think I got it:

If I want the cpu to keep a stable allcore boost of 4,3 GHz, I'll have to disable MCE (which I can't find in my bios).
Because my cpu is boosting above 4,3 GHz in allcore mode, MCE is enabled and the cooling ist enough.

Is that right?

Okay, I think I got it:

If I want the cpu to keep a stable allcore boost of 4,3 GHz, I'll have to disable MCE (which I can't find in my bios).
Because my cpu is boosting above 4,3 GHz in allcore mode, MCE is enabled and the cooling ist enough.

Is that right?
Looking at the motherboard main site they do have something called core boost which would be what controls how fast the cores run.
On their utility page they link to the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility which allows you to tune your cores the way you like.

But why would you want your CPU to be slower than it could be?!?

Apr 24, 2020
Thanks for this hint! I just installed the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. In "Advanced Tuning" the max turbo boost clock can be set for 1 - 6 active cores.
  • When setting 4,3 GHz to every active core count type, the turbo boost clock keeps constant at this clock.
  • When setting to the default values (1 active core -> 4,6 GHz, 2 -> 4,5 GHz ... 6 -> 4,3 GHz), the turbo boost clocks reacts like described in the beginning of this thread.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want the CPU be slower. I am just wondering, if something is wrong with it. Like not all cores can be constant active.

Last edited: