[SOLVED] CPU Turbo Boost

W01F51

Commendable
May 6, 2019
Is turbo boost just an auto OC if you have the right temps? It there any point in overclocking my CPU manually?

Solution
It depends on the CPU, and mainboard; some mainboard's, and/or Intel's XTU app, make it remarkably easy to bypass assorted boost duration and/or TDP limits, and, for that matter, the top clock all-core clock speed (for K-Series CPUs)..

4.2 GHz...; do you have a 7700K? (it will sustain 4.2 GHz under all core loadings....; mine is set for 4.7 GHz via Intel's XTU, where it does not exceed 74C under load...)

Furzumz

Reputable
Is turbo boost just an auto OC if you have the right temps?

In a nutshell pretty much. There's other factors involved that may possibly determine how high it can automatically overclock itself but that's the jist of it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Intel seems to do a persistent automatic overclock while AMD, or at least the Ryzen series seems to change its overclock speed on the fly. My ryzen processors bounces around like a pinball with its clock speed while the Intel processors I've used seem to stay at a specific speed.

The auto overclock is also capped to a certain GHz so it won't go past a certain point.

It there any point in overclocking my CPU manually?

If you have the power and cooling for it you could potentially go beyond what the auto overclock sets your processors speed at. But I'd say the auto overclock is safer and more stable. I personally just like to leave it be and let the processor overclock itself but that's just me

Reactions: thefxgamingrules

thefxgamingrules

Reputable
Jun 19, 2018
Turbo boost on Intel chips has a time-out; i.e. the boost lasts for a shirt duration before it stops, even if the temps and power limits are not breached. Manual OC will give you more performance, however at the cost of longevity. (If you chips lasts 6-7 years; say on stock setting, it will last 4-5 on being OC'ed)

Reactions: Furzumz

W01F51

Commendable
May 6, 2019
In a nutshell pretty much. There's other factors involved that may possibly determine how high it can automatically overclock itself but that's the jist of it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Intel seems to do a persistent automatic overclock while AMD, or at least the Ryzen series seems to change its overclock speed on the fly. My ryzen processors bounces around like a pinball with its clock speed while the Intel processors I've used seem to stay at a specific speed.

The auto overclock is also capped to a certain GHz so it won't go past a certain point.

If you have the power and cooling for it you could potentially go beyond what the auto overclock sets your processors speed at. But I'd say the auto overclock is safer and more stable. I personally just like to leave it be and let the processor overclock itself but that's just me
Yep, my friend CPU which is a Ryzen CPU bounces around to while mine stays at 4.2

W01F51

Commendable
May 6, 2019
Turbo boost on Intel chips has a time-out; i.e. the boost lasts for a shirt duration before it stops, even if the temps and power limits are not breached. Manual OC will give you more performance, however at the cost of longevity. (If you chips lasts 6-7 years; say on stock setting, it will last 4-5 on being OC'ed)
Whenever I check HWMonitor my CPU is always at 4.2. Are you sure it time-outs?

W01F51

Commendable
May 6, 2019
Whenever I check HWMonitor my CPU is always at 4.2. Are you sure it time-outs?

It depends on the CPU, and mainboard; some mainboard's, and/or Intel's XTU app, make it remarkably easy to bypass assorted boost duration and/or TDP limits, and, for that matter, the top clock all-core clock speed (for K-Series CPUs)..

4.2 GHz...; do you have a 7700K? (it will sustain 4.2 GHz under all core loadings....; mine is set for 4.7 GHz via Intel's XTU, where it does not exceed 74C under load...)

Solution