Question CPU Under-preforming; do I need to replace it?

Apr 23, 2018
I have an Acer Spin SP513-52N. The CPU is an i5-8250U. Its advertised to have a base frequency of 1.80 GHz and the capability to reach 3.40 GHz. According to both task manager and Novabench, my CPU is running at 0.40 GHz! Doing simple tasks such as opening photos or chrome takes far too long. Is there a way to get to the 1.8 GHz speed? Is there someway to stay at the turbo speed (I would be willing to buy a laptop cooler if needed)? Additionally, is it possible to replace and upgrade the CPU? From what I can see, only the RAM is soldered in. If it is possible, what all would I need to keep in mind (temperature, PSU capability, socket size)? Thank you for any insight.

Apr 23, 2018
It's called High performance but check it's advanced options and if it's permitted to run at 100%.
good call. i went into the advanced settings and made sure cpu performance is at 100%, even when unplugged. this solved it for a minute (it was running at 3+ GHz speed) but then it went back to .4 GHz now. The settings are still maxed out, it just won't run at it