[SOLVED] CPU UNDERCLOCKING ITSELF With just chrome open

May 26, 2020
I have a i7 8700k oc to 4.8 ghz i have an aio so i know i have enough cooling but i dont know why its underclocking itself i goes below base speed some times?
I also have a gigabyte motherboard HELP!!!

Solution
What you are describing is either:
  1. thermal throttling and you don't have the cooling, (not just CPU but VRM or other mobo component.
  2. tau run out and it should go to base clock, should not happen for OC's
  3. normal idle speed to allow cpu to cool down....
Does it happen under load or under stress ?

My 8750h is running 800 to 2100 most of the time as it allows my palms to experience less than skin melting temps. If you see full speed when you need it, so you should not worry as long as you get full speed when you need it.

if it happens during load, check VRM temps, as there is a high chance its overheating VRM. we need a MOBO model to be sure.

you might need those...
What you are describing is either:
  1. thermal throttling and you don't have the cooling, (not just CPU but VRM or other mobo component.
  2. tau run out and it should go to base clock, should not happen for OC's
  3. normal idle speed to allow cpu to cool down....
Does it happen under load or under stress ?

My 8750h is running 800 to 2100 most of the time as it allows my palms to experience less than skin melting temps. If you see full speed when you need it, so you should not worry as long as you get full speed when you need it.

if it happens during load, check VRM temps, as there is a high chance its overheating VRM. we need a MOBO model to be sure.

you might need those:
New-2-Sets-8pcs-Mini-PC-Banana-pi-Special-Aluminum-Heat-Sink-Radiator-Heatsink-CPU-and.jpg_q50.jpg

it makes sense for me as you are running ~2y old build propably so its enough time to get dust and overheat small parts.

Last edited:
Solution