butterfig

Honorable
BANNED
Feb 16, 2019
Hello. This is my first post here, so please excuse me for the lack of information I provide. So, my CPU is an i7 7700, and it runs 30 degrees at idle and 55-60 degrees under load. I have a CPU cooler way too overkill for it and it usually down clocks itself to 2.7-3.5 ghz when I'm playing a game like GTA 5 or Apex. Like I said, I get 55-60 degrees celcius underload. Also, 2.6-3.5 ghz is under the factory clock, and I have enabled turbo mode for my CPU. When I first built my PC it used to stay at a steady 4.2 Ghz but now-a-days it just jumps from here to there but the closest to 4.2 ghz is 3.9 ghz. Is there a way I could fix this?

PC SPECS:
i7 7700
GTX 1060 3gb
Asus H110 Plus
16 GB Ram
Corsair H60 (2017)
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
NZXT H500i

Solution
4.2GHz is the single-core turbo boost speed. The all-core turbo should be 4.0GHz. I'm not sure why it's not staying at 4.0GHz while playing GTAV though. I see you have a motherboard with a rather weak CPU power delivery, but I wouldn't think that would throttle your locked Intel CPU. How many case fans do you have?
4.2GHz is the single-core turbo boost speed. The all-core turbo should be 4.0GHz. I'm not sure why it's not staying at 4.0GHz while playing GTAV though. I see you have a motherboard with a rather weak CPU power delivery, but I wouldn't think that would throttle your locked Intel CPU. How many case fans do you have?

Solution