[SOLVED] Cpu underclocks when i enter a game/using any cpu intensive programs

Dec 10, 2018
Hello
I have a lenovo y520 with an i5 and a 1060 So my cpu out of nowhere cant go over 0.80 ghz or 1.16 WHEN im playing games or using premiere. Outside of these lets say browsing its normal frequencies and i checked high performance is on, all drivers are up to date, windows the same, and i own it for almost a year with really few problems.

Solution
See if this helps
have gathered more information.
It seems like my "magic tricks" with ahci switch in bios was not the saver. As it seems the 0.8 Ghz stuck is pure battery load related. I need further tests to do. But as it seems, if i load my battery to 100% and keep it charging, at some point laptop switches to the 3.5 Ghz regime and stays there even if I unplug my pc.

Though if i put my pc to the sleep mode at almost uncharged battery (25%) and than start it, it will be already stuck at 0.8GHz.

So it is probably some mode to save battery run time. And as it may be usefull while on road, I would like to see the 3.5GHz the moment it is plugged in.

make sure your power plan setting are set high performance
if you have a Fn+F2 keys...

rigger922

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
See if this helps
have gathered more information.
It seems like my "magic tricks" with ahci switch in bios was not the saver. As it seems the 0.8 Ghz stuck is pure battery load related. I need further tests to do. But as it seems, if i load my battery to 100% and keep it charging, at some point laptop switches to the 3.5 Ghz regime and stays there even if I unplug my pc.

Though if i put my pc to the sleep mode at almost uncharged battery (25%) and than start it, it will be already stuck at 0.8GHz.

So it is probably some mode to save battery run time. And as it may be usefull while on road, I would like to see the 3.5GHz the moment it is plugged in.

make sure your power plan setting are set high performance
if you have a Fn+F2 keys on your laptop press supposed to make the fan run faster and people have found it to jump the cpu Speed up

Solution
Dec 10, 2018
Ok, ill try that f2 when i get back the laptop from cleaning (thought this might solve it) but lenovo has a software with the option to make the fan go full speed, i tried that and no succes thou i think that option is just for better cooling

i'd try programs to track your thermals before, during, and after you run a demanding process that causes the issue.

when a CPU gets too hot it lowers its speed in an attempt to cooldown.(aka thermal throttling)

If it is within warranty i'd have Lenovo take a look at it.

Dec 10, 2018
Hotaru, last time i checked thermals it was 47 celsius before trying to render something, when i render, still the cpu it goes gradually from 3.xx something ghz to 0.80ghz, 1.xx something and thermals are 50 celsius (this is still BEFORE CLEANING)
Rigger, Fn+f2 just increases the volume

rigger922

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018

fair enough worth a try some gaming laptops that key increases fan speed,the cpu should not be down clocking itself at 50c wait till it comes back from cleaning test it again see if that's made a difference

Dec 10, 2018
So i got it back tried a game, tried a render, same situation, that fn+f2 where do i press it? in bios?, do i hold it?, can you give me a link to that lenovo website?

rigger922

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
If the laptop is still under warranty i would either RMA it or contact Lenovo see what they have to say it could be a fault on your cpu or the cpu fan not cooling the cpu enough since a cpu will under clock itself to prevent throttling itself. since ive done some research on this laptop and quite a few people have had problems with the same thing as you.the things ive mentioned are what people did to fix it if they are not working then i go back to my suggestion