Question CPU underperforming after ram upgrade ?

Jan 26, 2022
So I recently got a ram upgrade. Couldn't find the same module as my existing one so I got one with same specs(capacity, frequency and timings). I already had an 8gb 2666mhz module in my system. For the first two times my system wasn't booting then on the third try it booted to the bios and then after confirming existing settings, i continued to the OS. But after running userbenchmark it says my cpu has an 80% score and is performing way below average, which it never used to say and the score earlier was always close to 90. I don't know what to do. I looked in the bios but I didn't have the confidence to mess with the voltage or terms which I didn't understand. CPU is an i5-10400F.

I got one with same specs
if you are using two separate RAM modules this may be an issue.

you should always use packaged kits to ensure complete compatibility between the modules.

even if modules are rated with the same speed & timings and may even be the same make & model they are not certified to be completely compatible unless they are packaged together in the same kit.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I recently got a ram upgrade. Couldn't find the same module as my existing one so I got one with same specs(capacity, frequency and timings). I already had an 8gb 2666mhz module in my system. For the first two times my system wasn't booting then on the third try it booted to the bios and then after confirming existing settings, i continued to the OS. But after running userbenchmark it says my cpu has an 80% score and is performing way below average, which it never used to say and the score earlier was always close to 90. I don't know what to do. I looked in the bios but I didn't have the confidence to mess with the voltage or terms which I didn't understand. CPU is an i5-10400F.
Did you install the memory in the correct slots for dual channel per the motherboard manual and enable XMP profile?

Reactions: CompuGuy71
Jan 26, 2022
Have you performed a BIOS update?

Also is XMP enabled or disabled in your BIOS?
I had previously updated my bios to the latest version. And for xmp, i don't see any option to enable it. I think my modules don't support xmp becuase my motherboard is supposed to have support for xmp modules.

Jan 26, 2022
Did you install the memory in the correct slots for dual channel per the motherboard manual and enable XMP profile?
My motherboard comes with only two slots and the modules seated well with no issues. I don't see any option to enable xmp in the bios but motherboard supports xmp. My processor also supports 2666mhz modules so I don't understand why xmp is needed?

Jan 26, 2022
if you are using two separate RAM modules this may be an issue.

you should always use packaged kits to ensure complete compatibility between the modules.

even if modules are rated with the same speed & timings and may even be the same make & model they are not certified to be completely compatible unless they are packaged together in the same kit.
That could be the issue. Both the ram modules aren't from the same package but i checked for any specification differences. I didn't find any so I ordered the second module. I mainly checked capacity, speed, timing and voltage.

ASK THE COMMUNITY