Question Cpu Underperforming On UserBenchMarks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DSzymborski

Titan
Ill try running userbenchmark again with hwinfo and see my max temp, With the windows reinstall i want that to be my last resort, But if i get to that point should i use media creation tool or ios file on usb

The issue is that it shouldn't be your last resort. It should be your first resort. Or even before that since this should have been done properly in the first place. PC components are particularly merciless in how they punish sloppiness or corner-cutting. Windows is not a modular OS. Now, it's better at it than it used to be, because Microsoft knows many users aren't going to do thing correctly. But in the end, when an obvious problem arises -- and it can take months to notice something -- the first thing to do is install the OS properly, so people might as well do it from the start.

Reactions: kurdtnz

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Turbo is below base speed? What's your thermals like while testing?

Installed latest Amd chipset driver from Amd website? Search B450 chipset driver and search engine will list driver from Amd.

Run 3Dmark basic edition (any test, time spy, firestrike etc) to verify boost speeds. UB is rather accurate but would like second opinion confirming statistics.

https://benchmarks.ul.com/download

Disable pbo if you have this on in bios and try windows power plan set to balanced with minimum processor state of 10%.

Cpu temps is important in how turbo operates so wouldn't want seeing mid 80s.

Oct 15, 2021
Turbo is below base speed? What's your thermals like while testing?

Installed latest Amd chipset driver from Amd website? Search B450 chipset driver and search engine will list driver from Amd.

Run 3Dmark basic edition (any test, time spy, firestrike etc) to verify boost speeds. UB is rather accurate but would like second opinion confirming statistics.

https://benchmarks.ul.com/download

Disable pbo if you have this on in bios and try windows power plan set to balanced with minimum processor state of 10%.

Cpu temps is important in how turbo operates so wouldn't want seeing mid 80s.
Do I really need the chipset drivers?

In the past i changed my cpu voltage to make my cpu cooler bc it was reaching 80c in the past but changing the voltage to lower fixed it, would that be the reason its running under base clock?

Temps on my cpu go from 50-60c while testing with the stock cooler (wraith stealth)

Oct 15, 2021
Changing voltage settings would cause that. Chipset drivers are important. And stock cooler is ok if case has good air flow and ambient temps aren't excessive in the 30s otherwise a more beefier cooler is needed.
Oh ok, should i reset my bios settings?
I'll download my chipset drivers now

Which version of 3Dmark do i download there are lots of free versions

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Clock speed isn't budging from base for some reason, im not sure why that is, probably heat. Others in same benchmark are in the 4+ Ghz so it can't be software reading wrong.

What case and fan config have you got and whats your ambient temps?

Have you restored bios to defaults?

Oct 15, 2021
Clock speed isn't budging from base for some reason, im not sure why that is, probably heat. Others in same benchmark are in the 4+ Ghz so it can't be software reading wrong.

I havent reset bios yet because i changed the voltages to make my cpu cooler but once i get more pc fans i reset.

My case : https://www.centrecom.com.au/therma...J7yVd3hVLWy7BPuIZPpFG-jR2eJmQ8OBoCn8UQAvD_BwE

I reset my bios and this is what i got....

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47299701

I am running my cpu on 4.10ghz and its still underperforming.

Please help!

Userbenchmakrs link: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47299701
Stop using userbenchmark. It's horrible, biased, and misleading for any AMD product. IMO it should be banned as a reference site here as it is in many other forums.

Instead, run some Cinebench 2.0 benchmarks...both multithread and single thread...and post them here to see if you're really performing badly.

But simply reset CMOS first.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
UB is trivial i agree but i find it quick and useful for some things, clocks and background usage. It's helped me help others. In this case has allowed me question cpu speed in particular and op reset bios undoing whatever they did limiting cpu speed. Doing so though has now set ram to default speeds and they just need to set it back.

Already done.

People have opinions and are only opinions.

Reactions: kurdtnz

USAFRet

Titan
People have opinions and are only opinions.
UBM being biased is more than just 'peoples opinion'.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/chco8h/userbenchmark_should_no_longer_be_used_after_they/

I am running my cpu on 4.10ghz and its still underperforming.

Please help!

Userbenchmakrs link: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47299701

As others wrote, after you reset BIOS and/or clear CMOS you need to enable XMP profile again for the RAM to run at the right speed.

As for temps, if you wana make things a little bit better there are cheap, yet very decent solutions to your CPU runing hot.
It seems your case can hold CPU tower coolers up to 160mm (https://www.thermaltake.com/v200-tempered-glass-rgb-edition.html#additional), so the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black or DeepCpool Gammaxx GTE V2 should fit inside. The onyl thing I do not know is how tall your RAM is.

As for Cinebench R20 results, multi-thread should give you around ~ 3600pts (mine goes a little bit higher ~3625pts after many BIOS and Chipset updates + changing cooler and case). Single thread should be around 485pts.

I can not be too sure because the pictures are not showing what I need, but I really doubt those 3x 120mm rgb fans in the front of the case are doing anything at all for airflow. The front panel is solid and the fans are probably mounted right close to the acrylic, right?, also the side intake (to the right from the front panel https://thermaltake.azureedge.net/p...d99c663954fafc930039201ed07/v/2/v200_tg_4.jpg) seems to be block by the fans itslefs.

One thing you can try is screwing the front fans further back from the acrylic (on the other side -face- of the metal shroud), this way you will get a ~20mm clearence from the front panel and probably get some fresh air in from the side vent of the case. (Then again its a suggestion without been able to see a clear image of the case with the factory monuted fans without the front acrylic panel). You may be able to use the same screws, or may need different fan screws for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xavier Hisa
Nope didn't mean that at all and agree it's biased but couldn't care less about bench numbers of UB. I did say i agree it's trivial, and disagree it being completely useless and the opinion it should be banned.
Kinda off topic as you sort your issues with performance...

But the reason it should be banned is it's openly biased nature; it's essentially become nothing more than an Intel and Nvidia fan-boy site that's openly hostile to AMD products. That makes it little more than an empowerment tool for old-fashion flame wars over who's got the faster systems, flame wars moderators in any enduring forum try to prevent these days.

It CAN be useful if you IGNORE comparative performance metrics, using it only to compare to your own system to see if tweaks are having any effect. That leaves it pretty much worthless to point anyone to with a link because they really have no rational basis for making any judgment about what they see of your system's performance.

So why do it at all? why empower the flamers? just ban it.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Nope didn't mean that at all and agree it's biased but couldn't care less about bench numbers of UB. I did say i agree it's trivial, and disagree it being completely useless and the opinion it should be banned.
The problem with UBM is that far too many people take its result as gospel.
And, it often shows stupidly confusing results, for the same test on the same system
"Below Expectations" and "85% - Excellent". For the same component, at the same time.

Oct 15, 2021
As others wrote, after you reset BIOS and/or clear CMOS you need to enable XMP profile again for the RAM to run at the right speed.

As for temps, if you wana make things a little bit better there are cheap, yet very decent solutions to your CPU runing hot.
It seems your case can hold CPU tower coolers up to 160mm (https://www.thermaltake.com/v200-tempered-glass-rgb-edition.html#additional), so the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black or DeepCpool Gammaxx GTE V2 should fit inside. The onyl thing I do not know is how tall your RAM is.

As for Cinebench R20 results, multi-thread should give you around ~ 3600pts (mine goes a little bit higher ~3625pts after many BIOS and Chipset updates + changing cooler and case). Single thread should be around 485pts.

I can not be too sure because the pictures are not showing what I need, but I really doubt those 3x 120mm rgb fans in the front of the case are doing anything at all for airflow. The front panel is solid and the fans are probably mounted right close to the acrylic, right?, also the side intake (to the right from the front panel https://thermaltake.azureedge.net/p...d99c663954fafc930039201ed07/v/2/v200_tg_4.jpg) seems to be block by the fans itslefs.

One thing you can try is screwing the front fans further back from the acrylic (on the other side -face- of the metal shroud), this way you will get a ~20mm clearence from the front panel and probably get some fresh air in from the side vent of the case. (Then again its a suggestion without been able to see a clear image of the case with the factory monuted fans without the front acrylic panel). You may be able to use the same screws, or may need different fan screws for this.
Thank you so much for this but when I did the testing I had the front panel off so I could just see what I’d get. When I take the front panel off the temps get much better

Reactions: RodroX
Oct 15, 2021
Stop using userbenchmark. It's horrible, biased, and misleading for any AMD product. IMO it should be banned as a reference site here as it is in many other forums.

Instead, run some Cinebench 2.0 benchmarks...both multithread and single thread...and post them here to see if you're really performing badly.

Ok thank you
I give Cinebench a go