[SOLVED] CPU underperforming w/ high temps - really need help

amudie

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
Hiya, recently installed a z270 pro4 and a 6700k. Found that it ran okay, but would do awful in some games, so I decided to check temps/becnhmark it. Found that core 1 is running much hotter than the other cores and I have no idea why. I've already reseated my aio with different thermal pastes, and even used my old cryorig h7 but got the same results. My case has ample airflow with 3 intake fans and 3 out including aio radiator. Locking the voltage at 1.25v helped with temps but the problem was still there. Hunch is that maybe the paste under the cpu lid is poorly spread or has degraded, otherwise i have no idea. pls help :)))

Solution
It is normal for some cores to run hotter than others.
Some cores are positioned more distant from the heat spreader.
2 -3c. difference might be normal
But, with such a big discrepancy, I suspect that you may have a defective chip.
If you bought it used, I would try to return it.
They sell for about $100 on ebay.

One thing you can try is to delid the chip, replace the material ,and reduce the distance between the actual processor and the heat spreader.
This has been effective on older processors such as yours.
Hiya, recently installed a z270 pro4 and a 6700k. Found that it ran okay, but would do awful in some games, so I decided to check temps/becnhmark it. Found that core 1 is running much hotter than the other cores and I have no idea why. I've already reseated my aio with different thermal pastes, and even used my old cryorig h7 but got the same results. My case has ample airflow with 3 intake fans and 3 out including aio radiator. Locking the voltage at 1.25v helped with temps but the problem was still there. Hunch is that maybe the paste under the cpu lid is poorly spread or has degraded, otherwise i have no idea. pls help :)))
how much "hotter" it is? i usually wont mind the core temp as long as the package are still under control.

Reactions: KyaraM

amudie

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
whats the temp when under the heaviest load you've done, one core 1? how about the other cores, and cpu package?
Core 1 has hit 100 several times, while the others are around maybe 65, so according to hwinfo, so package has also hit 100. When playing cpu intensive games like rainbow six, it will easily stay in the 90s while hitting 100 every couple seconds, triggering throttling according to hwinfo.

Core 1 has hit 100 several times, while the others are around maybe 65, so according to hwinfo, so package has also hit 100. When playing cpu intensive games like rainbow six, it will easily stay in the 90s while hitting 100 every couple seconds, triggering throttling according to hwinfo.
wew thats.. hot..

did you OC it by any chance or it's just stock (plus some enhancement from the board?)

completely stock. reset bios to defaults as well just to be safe as well. never been oced.
if you did reseated the aio and used the heatsink, and it's still hot, then it could be either the voltage (you could try to leave voltage on auto and use LLC at 3 or 4, or the lowest to see if it's actually stable)

Or it could be the thermal paste itself that have been dried inside the ihs, tho this should not be alot of trouble since old cpus (sandy, ivy, nehalem) still could dissipate heat normally with a budget cooler. Either the voltage, the TIM inside, or both.

amudie

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
My thoughts too, already tried llc 4 with basically the same results. Also tried undervolting it which helped with overall temps but core 1 still ran much hotter. could my psu contribute to this? it's a bit <Mod Edit>; coolermaster bronze mwe 550. don't think this would play a part in heat but might be worth mentioning 🤷‍♂️. I would also attempt to have it delidded but that's damn near impossible in new zealand

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts too, already tried llc 4 with basically the same results. Also tried undervolting it which helped with overall temps but core 1 still ran much hotter. could my psu contribute to this? it's a bit <Mod Edit>; coolermaster bronze mwe 550. don't think this would play a part in heat but might be worth mentioning 🤷‍♂️. I would also attempt to have it delidded but that's damn near impossible in new zealand
i dont think psu have something to do with it, since the power distributed to your cpus are all on the motherboard itself.. but if you placed your hand on the heat output wether on the aio radiator or tower cooler and its not even that hot (or use thermometer gun), then probably the temp report are a little bit off.

amudie

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
i dont think psu have something to do with it, since the power distributed to your cpus are all on the motherboard itself.. but if you placed your hand on the heat output wether on the aio radiator or tower cooler and its not even that hot (or use thermometer gun), then probably the temp report are a little bit off.

Unfortunately not the case. Hwmonitor, hwinfo, afterburner, and the bios are all reading this. Hwinfo shows it being like this on all cpu sensors; package, cores, peci

Reactions: Koekieezz
It is normal for some cores to run hotter than others.
Some cores are positioned more distant from the heat spreader.
2 -3c. difference might be normal
But, with such a big discrepancy, I suspect that you may have a defective chip.
If you bought it used, I would try to return it.
They sell for about $100 on ebay.

One thing you can try is to delid the chip, replace the material ,and reduce the distance between the actual processor and the heat spreader.
This has been effective on older processors such as yours.

Solution