Kracor

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
So I was testing my new ryzen 5 3600 in cinebench r20 and got a score of 785. (the expected result of the CPU is around 3600.)
PC specs;
ryzen 5 3600, vega 56, 650 watt PSU, B450 A-Pro with updated drivers, 3200 mhz ram and cooler: Noctua NH-D15.
Things I tried and looked up; CPU is 40 degrees, the CPU is running 100% in cinebench at 4 GHZ. I also tried clearing the CMOS and using other BIOS.

Any solutions?

So I was testing my new ryzen 5 3600 in cinebench r20 and got a score of 785. (the expected result of the CPU is around 3600.)
PC specs;
ryzen 5 3600, vega 56, 650 watt PSU, B450 A-Pro with updated drivers, 3200 mhz ram and cooler: Noctua NH-D15.
Things I tried and looked up; CPU is 40 degrees, the CPU is running 100% in cinebench at 4 GHZ. I also tried clearing the CMOS and using other BIOS.

Any solutions?
That's impossibly low, do you have something heavy running in the background. Try some other benchmarks like Passmark Ptest.

Kracor

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
That's impossibly low, do you have something heavy running in the background. Try some other benchmarks like Passmark Ptest.
Checked what was running in the background, cinebench using 99%. Other benchmarks also showed how slow the CPU is. I used a adapter for a dual PSU and I think I have broken something, not sure if it's the motherboard or the CPU

Kracor

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
Is your motherboard on the latest bios? In other words, did you update the bios immediately after building it? If not. id start there. Also what are your temps?
Did update it and reaching 40C. I used a adapter for a dual PSU and I think I have broken something, not sure if it's the motherboard or the CPU

Do you have the latest BIOS from motherboard page installed?

Do you have the latest chipset from AMD page installed (https://www.amd.com/es/support)?

Was this a new PC build with a new-clean installation of Windows 10 64 bits?, or Are you using a an old Windows installation?

If you are runing and old Windows you should try to make a clean install with the lastest chipset drivers from AMD!!!

With the dual adapter, you mean to the graphic card cables ? or What?

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
Check if you're using AMD energy profile on Windows. Probably it's not that, but you should give a try.

Like many others said, Ryzen Zen2 need the last BIOS available to work properly.

You say that you're using a adapter for CPU supply, isnt? So maybe the PSU is not recommended for Ryzen Zen2 and probably don't have enough amperage on 12v line. Check it too. It's very important.

Try to check CPU clock while you run CPU benchmarks. You can use CPU-Z for it or even MSI AB. Dont try other programs because most of them have problems to read Ryzen properly.

Kracor

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
9200000083056289.jpg
What do you mean adapter for dual psu?
Do you have the latest BIOS from motherboard page installed?

Do you have the latest chipset from AMD page installed (https://www.amd.com/es/support)?

Was this a new PC build with a new-clean installation of Windows 10 64 bits?, or Are you using a an old Windows installation?

If you are runing and old Windows you should try to make a clean install with the lastest chipset drivers from AMD!!!

With the dual adapter, you mean to the graphic card cables ? or What?

Kracor

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
Check if you're using AMD energy profile on Windows. Probably it's not that, but you should give a try.

Like many others said, Ryzen Zen2 need the last BIOS available to work properly.

You say that you're using a adapter for CPU supply, isnt? So maybe the PSU is not recommended for Ryzen Zen2 and probably don't have enough amperage on 12v line. Check it too. It's very important.

Try to check CPU clock while you run CPU benchmarks. You can use CPU-Z for it or even MSI AB. Dont try other programs because most of them have problems to read Ryzen properly.
I got the chipset drivers and the latest BIOS. clocks: 4GHz, 100% load

It was a stupid idea because I wanted to try crossfire, I have read that you could damage it with 2 PSUs and that probably happened. I need to know what to replace. Either the CPU or motherboard is faulty

If the CPU is boosting to ~4GHz while runing Cinebench, then is not damaged, thats about the speed it should be, and you motherboard doesn't seem to be damaged either since the Pc is booting and able to run Cinebench without hiccups.

What about the question I did early, Did you made a clean install of Windows after building the new PC ?

Kracor

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
If the CPU is boosting to ~4GHz while runing Cinebench, then is not damaged, thats about the speed it should be, and you motherboard doesn't seem to be damaged either since the Pc is booting and able to run Cinebench without hiccups.

What about the question I did early, Did you made a clean install of Windows after building the new PC ?
Yes I reinstalled windows with the new PC

mmmm, How long does it takes for Cinebench R20 to finish the test run ?, with a score of 785 it should take a pretty good ammount of time.
Maybe Cinebench is not returning the right score, but actually rendering the scene in the proper time (I would test myself to give you a point of comparision, but Im not at home right now).

Kracor

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
mmmm, How long does it takes for Cinebench R20 to finish the test run ?, with a score of 785 it should take a pretty good ammount of time.
Maybe Cinebench is not returning the right score, but actually rendering the scene in the proper time (I would test myself to give you a point of comparision, but Im not at home right now).
I also tried things like 3Dmark, the problem is also in games: gpu usage going all over the place teribble 1% low

Kracor

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
Have you tried to restore BIOS defult options, save and restart the PC?

Also, how many active cores does it shows on Windows? (you can check this on the task manager-alt+crtl+del or by downloading and runing something like hwinfo portable 64 bit - Sensors only option - https://www.hwinfo.com/download/)

Task Manager: https://www.top-password.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/task-manager-cpu-performance.png
I tried resetting the BIOS to default, saved and restarted. checked the active cores in ryzen master and it showed all the 6 cores where working at 4 ghz. Sadly resetting the BIOS to default did not fix the problem.

Thats really strange, also GPU going to low 1% is not that wierd, GPu usage is really low for example when in load screens in game.

• What software are you using to get all this data in game, MSI afterburner ?
  • Also did you check how long it takes to render the scene in Cinebench all core test ?

Ryzen has some kind of failsafe when cpu voltage gets too low. Undervolt/Overclockers have run into this. It will throttle back the CPU at the millisecond level, but the system still shows as being full speed, even though the CPU is choking and throttling.

You may have also damaged your power supply by using that adapter, are you using a completely different supply, rather than the ones you linked together? I would check the voltage at each pin if you have a voltmeter handy. Use the paperclip method to turn it on.

I would honestly try another motherboard, since it's much cheaper than trying a new CPU. A320 motherboards are also super cheap. This is also why i've started buying PC parts on Amazon. Free returns and exchanges for 30 days when you're a prime member :)