Cpu unlocking difficulties

infernal

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
I'm a proud owner of an M4A87TD EVO motherboard, its served me well in every way; except for the hell it has given me in unlocking. I have a phenom II 555 that shows clear signs of unlocking capabilities. When I unlock all four cores the computer starts up and does everything fine; but in games I get artifacts, arrays of colors, and all myriads of glitches.
It will only let me choose to unlock cores 1-3. Even if I lock all but core 0 it creates these glitches. If I set affinities to a game from core 1-3 it seems to work fine as well. But that obviously requires me to have the game open first which has its own issues.

From this I can only deduce that core 0 is the unstable one; presumably when core unlocker is not on it uses 2 cores from the 1-3 range. I've updated BIOS and tried everything, I can't seem to find any fix... Any suggestions? Thanks!

Dan

There's a r3ason they locked those cores. But if you want to try, I'd raise the CPU voltage and northbridge voltage a bit to see if you can gain stability. Some folks suggest that unlocking a stubborn processor can be done with a little extra northbridge voltage.

If all that results is increasing temps than I'd give up trying to unlock. Or even a triple core wouldn't be bad.

infernal

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
I've already raised both voltages to the max possible. Again i've tried everything simple, the issue is it won't seem to let me lock core 0, which is the actually faulty one. I can set a game's afinity to cores 1-3 and it'll work fine... So I should be able to get a tri-core out of this; my question is how. Is there a non bios way to shut down a specific core?