CPU unworkable????

warbelsnap

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Made a BIG mistake, went into CMOS and changed 1 setting. The setting was F7, Load CMOS defaults. I was having CD-ROM proplems and was instucted to load the old defaults. The CD-ROM still not working but now since I chose to load old defaults I get a message right after IDE master dection that states CPU is unworkable or has been changed. On boot up the screen shows the correct make and speed of the CPU but I get this dang "unworkable" message now. How do I correct this in the BIOS? Any instuctions should be typed REAL slow and please use only small words, Im pretty much operating on the outer most edge of my computer knowledge.

G

what cpu do you have and what model bios are you using?

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?

BMan33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Does the system allow you to continue after the message "CPU is unworkable or has been changed"? If so, try that. Sometimes the bios will automatically update itself with the proper settings at next boot

Wherever you go, there you are.

G

I had that probolem with my Celeron 300a CPU when adjusting some of my M/O settings.

My solution was to simply re-seat the CPU. Take it off the M/O and them put it back on. Worked for me...

warbelsnap

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Thanks to all that answered this post, figured out the problem. When I chose to re-load default settings the MOBO went to control settings for a 266. I installed a 433 so went in and selected right cpu speed type and core voltage settings.