[SOLVED] CPU Upgrade-->2700X to Ryzen 9 3900X, 3950X or 5900X?

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
About a year ago I built my PC, always with the plan to upgrade the CPU. Here is my current setup, which i'm not gaming but creating/rendering videos, light CAD/3D printing and streaming....

v8pHBA0.jpg

The MOBO was 3000 series ready when I purchased it, so (being my first build and unfamiliar with updating BIOS) I had planned on going with a 3000 series, but now the 5900X is out.

After a UserBenchmark test and simulating the 3900X and 5900X it seems the 5900X is a no-brainer..

IVhqehR.jpg

W7szofp.jpg

7IQKzQz.jpg

Pros/Cons on 3900X/3950X/5900X

Am I missing or overlooking anything? Any unforeseen issues? Is it overkill being i'm not gaming but creating/rendering videos, light CAD/3D printing and streaming?

Being my first time, updating BIOS is fairly simple, correct? Any known issues with latest BIOS?

Thanks for your help!!

Solution
In what way is your current setup not doing the job?
I would discount userbenchmark as junk science and marketing.

If you want better, and you have the budget, one of the 5000 series processors will be a good upgrade.
The increase in performance per clock is a very good thing.

Yes, you will likely need to update your BIOS to support a 5000 series processor.
CPU-Z will tell you what bios level you now have.
You will need 1f level for the 5000 processors.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#support-cpu
You can download the bios here:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#down-bios
When you flash the bios, use a USB, not the internet.
If the flash is interrupted...
Updating BIOS nowadays is 2 clicks at most, no problems there.

The 5900X is a 12 core cpu, but has the current fastest cores on the market.
The 3900X is also a 12 core cpu, with cores that are 13-18% slower.
The 3950X is a 16 core cpu and it's cores are as fast as the 3900X.

I say the 5900X is the best choice, and should be around the same speed/a little slower in multicore, while quite a bit faster in single core. most of those tasks are multithreaded, but usually only up to a point.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I can't see why a person would justify the 5900x prices. (unless you make good money from this RIG and every second counts). The price point is horrible IMHO. Unless you just have deep pockets and like the bragging rights.

Look for a good used 3900x or go 5600x.

the 5600X is 95% as fast as the 5900X, if you can find one in stock......(the 5800X looks equally nice but with two more cores/four more threads for 'next year and the following year'! (avoiding saying 'future-proof!) :)
What..?
In single core/gaming, probably yes.

In professional/multi threaded applications the 5900X 70-90% faster than the 5600X since it has double the cores.

I can't see why a person would justify the 5900x prices. (unless you make good money from this RIG and every second counts). The price point is horrible IMHO. Unless you just have deep pockets and like the bragging rights.

Look for a good used 3900x or go 5600x.
If you have the money, and want the performance, why not?
You don't have to need something to want it.

If that was the case, everyone would buy gtx 1050 Ti's and play on 1080p 60fps medium on every single game.

In what way is your current setup not doing the job?
I would discount userbenchmark as junk science and marketing.

If you want better, and you have the budget, one of the 5000 series processors will be a good upgrade.
The increase in performance per clock is a very good thing.

Yes, you will likely need to update your BIOS to support a 5000 series processor.
CPU-Z will tell you what bios level you now have.
You will need 1f level for the 5000 processors.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#support-cpu
You can download the bios here:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#down-bios
When you flash the bios, use a USB, not the internet.
If the flash is interrupted recovery is complicated,

You should also plan on updating the motherboard and chipset drivers to currency.

You now have 16 threads with the R5-2700X
A 5600X with 12 threads is stronger.
You might want to find out how many threads you can actually effectively use.
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your apps are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, you do not need all the threads you have.

Solution