Question CPU Upgrade - AMD or Intel?

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
As my PC sits right now, I'm running an overclocked i7-6700K with 32GB of 3200mhz RAM, an RTX 2080 Super, plus a bunch of SSDs for storage (1 m.2, 4 sata drives). I use a dual monitor setup, including a 1920x1080p 144hz monitor and a 2560x1440p 155hz monitor. I've noticed recently that it's starting to stutter and drop frames while streaming. It's done it in a few titles (Post Scriptum, Call of Duty WW2, and World of Warships), and with me streaming most nights, it's gotten to be quite an issue, both from a viewing standpoint and from a playing one (dying from system lag isn't ideal)

As such, I'm looking at a core system upgrade, so a new CPU and motherboard. I could justify new RAM if I would see a large improvement in performance, though 1 or 2 fps isn't going to be a deal breaker for me. I've been tossing around a few ideas.

The first idea I had was sticking with Intel and going with an i7-9700K and a Gaming Edge Z390 board from MSI. Second option was a Ryzen 7 3700X and the Gaming Pro Carbon X570 motherboard. Both options are around the same cost (coming in around $750 CAD) I've heard really good things about the new Zen 2 products, but I'm not 100% if it's worth taking the hit to clock speed since Intel will still OC better to my knowledge.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey there,

Nice post. Well described.

Yes, unfortunately that's the limitations of Skylake/Kabylake. Just not enough cores/threads to have a good playing experience whilst outputting a good stream quality with no dropped frames. It can either look bad for those viewing, or be a crappy in game experience. Who wants that, right!?

I'd suggest going with AMD on this one. The simple reason being more cores/threads for less.

For gaming and streaming that really helps.

You can keep your 32gb 3200mhz ram for the build that will be perfect.

Depending on the rest of your set up (Case, PSU AIO's etc) it's an easy upgrade, that will give you the results you want.

On clockspeed, yes, Intel have a lead which results in approx 5% more FPS, game dependant. However, AMD have actually caught up with Intel on IPC for this gen, so it's only clockspeed that separates them. Zen 2 is also pretty much maxed out with PBO and are not great OC'ers at all, whereas Intel chips always are decent OC'ers. But the 3700x performs very well FPS wise compared to the 9700k. Sure the 9700k is about 5% faster (sometimes more).

Sometimes the extra OC headroom makes a difference but in terms of gaming and streaming more cores/ threads makes more sense for you. 3700x - 8c/16t v I7 9700k - 8 c/8t.

I'd be going the AMD route. Others might argue otherwise.

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
As my PC sits right now, I'm running an overclocked i7-6700K with 32GB of 3200mhz RAM, an RTX 2080 Super, plus a bunch of SSDs for storage (1 m.2, 4 sata drives). I use a dual monitor setup, including a 1920x1080p 144hz monitor and a 2560x1440p 155hz monitor. I've noticed recently that it's starting to stutter and drop frames while streaming. It's done it in a few titles (Post Scriptum, Call of Duty WW2, and World of Warships), and with me streaming most nights, it's gotten to be quite an issue, both from a viewing standpoint and from a playing one (dying from system lag isn't ideal)

As such, I'm looking at a core system upgrade, so a new CPU and motherboard. I could justify new RAM if I would see a large improvement in performance, though 1 or 2 fps isn't going to be a deal breaker for me. I've been tossing around a few ideas.

The first idea I had was sticking with Intel and going with an i7-9700K and a Gaming Edge Z390 board from MSI. Second option was a Ryzen 7 3700X and the Gaming Pro Carbon X570 motherboard. Both options are around the same cost (coming in around $750 CAD) I've heard really good things about the new Zen 2 products, but I'm not 100% if it's worth taking the hit to clock speed since Intel will still OC better to my knowledge.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Every frame is precious when we're talking about 144Hz device, so I need to recommend 9700K for you. Generally I recommend 3700X, but for extreme gaming, 9700K is 5%~15% better than 3700X. Specially if you will overclock it. 9700k@5Ghz you can have easily 20% better frames than 3700X@4.4Ghz

About RAM, you're right. Despite you can have 5%~10% more frames changing them, I think it's just not wise and don't worth too.

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Hey there,

Yes, unfortunately that's the limitations of Skylake/Kabylake. Just not enough cores/threads to have a good playing experience whilst outputting a good stream quality with no dropped frames. It can either look bad for those viewing, or be a crappy in game experience. Who wants that, right!?

I'd suggest going with AMD on this one. The simple reason being more cores/threads for less.

Depending on the rest of your set up (Case, PSU AIO's etc) it's an easy upgrade, that will give you the results you want.

On clockspeed, yes, Intel have a lead which results in approx 5% more FPS, game dependant. However, AMD have actually caught up with Intel on IPC for this gen, so it's only clockspeed that separates them. Zen 2 is also pretty much maxed out with PBO and are not great OC'ers at all, whereas Intel chips always are decent OC'ers. But the 3700x performs very well FPS wise compared to the 9700k. Sure the 9700k is about 5% faster (sometimes more).

Sometimes the extra OC headroom makes a difference but in terms of gaming and streaming more cores/ threads makes more sense for you. 3700x - 8c/16t v I7 9700k - 8 c/8t.

I've got an NH-D15 in a Meshify C packed with fans, so cooling shouldn't be much of an issue. Neither should power as I've got a Corsair HX1000i. It's a couple years old but I haven't really hit a reason to change it out yet.

I'm definitely leaning a little more to the AMD side as the doubled thread count over the 9700K really seems like it would help reduce issues during streaming. I'll have a look at some benchmarks between the 2 and probably go from there.

Any comment on the motherboard choices? It's the area I'm probably the least well versed in when it comes to hardware.

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Every frame is precious when we're talking about 144Hz device, so I need to recommend 9700K for you. Generally I recommend 3700X, but for extreme gaming, 9700K is 5%~15% better than 3700X. Specially if you will overclock it. 9700k@5Ghz you can have easily 20% better frames than 3700X@4.4Ghz

About RAM, you're right. Despite you can have 5%~10% more frames changing them, I think it's just not wise and don't worth too.

Is the clockspeed difference going to make as big of a difference at 1440p compared to 1080p? I've always been under the impression that as resolution increases things become more GPU bound than CPU bound.

Reactions: Zanathon

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
Hey there,

There's a test on youtube (Optimum Tech) showing that 9700K is better than 3700X even for streaming.

Is the clockspeed difference going to make as big of a difference at 1440p compared to 1080p? I've always been under the impression that as resolution increases things become more GPU bound than CPU bound.
If we was talking about 4k, this would be a different story, but 1440p still loves CPU. Less than 1080p, but still love CPU juice.:D

Last edited:
I've got an NH-D15 in a Meshify C packed with fans, so cooling shouldn't be much of an issue. Neither should power as I've got a Corsair HX1000i. It's a couple years old but I haven't really hit a reason to change it out yet.

I'm definitely leaning a little more to the AMD side as the doubled thread count over the 9700K really seems like it would help reduce issues during streaming. I'll have a look at some benchmarks between the 2 and probably go from there.

Any comment on the motherboard choices? It's the area I'm probably the least well versed in when it comes to hardware.

The Gaming Pro Carbon is a great mobo. Admittedly I do have a love for the ASRock Taichi X570's. I just love the designs, and of course quality mobo's too. You wouldn't go wrong with either. Both will be fine to power the 3700x and OC with ease. They come with high number of power phases and good VRM's. Not much between them. Whatever is cheapest.

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
The Gaming Pro Carbon is a great mobo. Admittedly I do have a love for the ASRock Taichi X570's. I just love the designs, and of course quality mobo's too. You wouldn't go wrong with either. Both will be fine to power the 3700x and OC with ease. They come with high number of power phases and good VRM's. Not much between them. Whatever is cheapest.

I'll have a look around and see what I can find on motherboard reviews. I've used MSI boards almost exclusively in the past 5 years so, so it's a bit of a step outside my comfort zone to switch manufacturers.

Latest posts