[SOLVED] CPU Upgrade and Compatibility

Jul 16, 2019
I want to upgrade to R7 3700X but I want to know if it would be compatible with my Asus B350-I MoBo.
Right now, PPP is giving me a compatibility warning saying "Some AMD B350 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions. "
I currently have BIOS version 5220, and it says "Removes Gen 4 support when using Ryzen 3000 CPUs. " on my MoBo's website... Does this mean that R7 3700X is compatible? But will disable my M.2 drive? Im not too sure about the whole Gen 4 support stuff

The reason why I want to upgrade is because my 2070S is not performing as I expected and I think it's because of my current CPU. I play on a 1080p 144hz monitor. I get high cpu usage and low GPU usage when playing games such as COD MW, Escape From Tarkov, R6, and Apex Legends(my gpu usage tends to be a lot higher in this game).

Edit: Could it be because my GPU might possibly not getting enough power??? Im using ONE cable but TWO connectors from PSU to my GPU... idk if that even matters

Here's my current build: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserR...MekH1vivcTG_15FUxON6DeD4FPeAVHEiOlkXlBDZBykhQ
The warning it's giving me: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jvs8Xv

Thanks

Solution
I want to upgrade to R7 3700X but I want to know if it would be compatible with my Asus B350-I MoBo.
Right now, PPP is giving me a compatibility warning saying "Some AMD B350 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions. "
I currently have BIOS version 5220, and it says "Removes Gen 4 support when using Ryzen 3000 CPUs. " on my MoBo's website... Does this mean that R7 3700X is compatible? But will disable my M.2 drive? Im not too sure about the whole Gen 4 support stuff

The reason why I want to upgrade is because my 2070S is not performing as I expected and I think it's because of my current CPU. I play on a 1080p...

The reason why I want to upgrade is because my 2070S is not performing as I expected and I think it's because of my current CPU. I play on a 1080p 144hz monitor. I get high cpu usage and low GPU usage when playing games such as COD MW, Escape From Tarkov, R6, and Apex Legends(my gpu usage tends to be a lot higher in this game).

Edit: Could it be because my GPU might possibly not getting enough power??? Im using ONE cable but TWO connectors from PSU to my GPU... idk if that even matters

Here's my current build: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserR...MekH1vivcTG_15FUxON6DeD4FPeAVHEiOlkXlBDZBykhQ
The warning it's giving me: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jvs8Xv

Thanks
"Removes Gen 4 support when using Ryzen 3000 CPUs. " just means you will not be able to run GPU and NVME M.2 at v4 only at version3 speeds but it's not great loss as they took support off because only x570 and b550 chipsets support that speed and protocol.
As far as GPU is concerned you should have power on all connectors on it even if they are on one cable. That's probably not the problem here if PSU gives enough power.

Solution
Jul 16, 2019
"Removes Gen 4 support when using Ryzen 3000 CPUs. " just means you will not be able to run GPU and NVME M.2 at v4 only at version3 speeds but it's not great loss as they took support off because only x570 and b550 chipsets support that speed and protocol.
As far as GPU is concerned you should have power on all connectors on it even if they are on one cable. That's probably not the problem here if PSU gives enough power.

So everything should be fine when I upgrade to an R7 3700x? and should not worry about any issues?