Question CPU upgrade and strange POST/no POST behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2021
Howdy!

I have a system with an ASUS Prime H310-Plus that I wanted to upgrade from an 8th gen CPU to a 9th gen. I updated the BIOS first and everything seemed fine with that.

Then I put the new CPU in. No POST. All the lights and fans worked, but there was no video. (I had also fiddled with some of the cable organization while I was there, but everything was reconnected)

I went through most of the usual troubleshooting steps - reseat RAM, disconnect everything but the power and the power button, pull the battery and clear CMOS, etc. I haven't been able to find any kind of error lights or beeps or anything for this motherboard. It has lights along the board, which always came on. The only thing that made any notable difference was removing the CPU itself. I put the old CPU back in, just in case it wasn't happy with the 9th gen, despite the BIOS update. Nope, same behavior.

I finally got too frustrated and took a break, but I pulled the battery again because I saw somewhere that it can make a difference to leave it out for longer. Meanwhile, I saw that I should probably make sure the PSU wasn't the issue, either.

I came back to it yesterday, replaced the battery, and then plugged in a different PSU that I had on hand (this is with the 9th gen CPU reinstalled). There was one false start, but the second time I turned it on, I got BIOS. This is with nothing plugged in except the power supply and a stick of RAM. I decided to try the original power supply again, since I'd muddied the waters by restting CMOS and changing the PSU at the same time. Connected the old PSU, still got BIOS. Ok, this is good.

Then I got cocky. Since it seemed like the CMOS reset had done the trick, I plugged back in the various motherboard connectors, the rest of my RAM, and my boot drive. Turned it on and... no POST.

So I removed everything again. Still no POST.

I switched back to the other PSU. Still no POST.

At that point I gave up again. Has anyone seen behavior like this before? Know the secret to getting debug info from this board? Any ideas are appreciated.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021
Not that anyone was holding their breath, but this turned out to be the RAM, at least at the last stage. I guess in all my reconfiguring, I didn't get it seated all the way. I'd about given up and happened to lean on it a little. Click!

Also, I got the motherboard speaker on eBay and that did the trick on feedback.

Reactions: poppyjoe
Status
Not open for further replies.