CPU Upgrade assistance

Sweg Bucket

Reputable
May 6, 2015
Hi, I currently have an ASUS Micro ATX M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard and I'm looking to increase performance in games and in general use.
My Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 750Ti SC
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840T
RAM: 8GB DDR3

I'm thinking about getting an AMD FX 6300, I'm looking to run games like CSGO, GTA 5, BF4, and some CPU intense games. Currently I run CSGO at 100-200 FPS (Which for CSGO is average) but I've heard people running it at 300 fps constant. I'm fairly new to PC building and I have little to no experience on CPU installation (But I do alot of research on it). Any help will be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Solution
The stock cooler will come with thermal paste.

I know you say that you do not want to overclock, but it is a relatively simple thing for that chip (860K) and a modest overclock will give useful benefits. If you think you might want to do that ever, I would install an aftermarket CPU cooler when you change CPUs. If you never overclock, it will keep your CPU nice and cool, and if you want to try, you can without having to take the system apart again and install a new cooler.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
If you are running over 100 fps in the most intensive game you play then save your money and wait till your needs change anything over 75 or so is just a luxury. I suspect your monitor refresh rate is less than 120hz if your rig is that old. I'd just keep what I had if I were you

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Hmmm... FX6300 is not a bad choice but i recommend you to upgrade your pc with an intel cpu and a new mobo (For Intel's Cpu's).
You can also go to FX8320 if you want... it is a little bit more expensive but i think it is worth it

I do not think that the upgrade you are considering is worth the money. Your motherboard can take the chip, but you will need to add heatsinks to your VRMs if you want to overclock it, and to get to the speeds you want, you will need a robust overclock.

Do not even think of a FX83xx on that motherboard.

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

Okay

Sweg Bucket

Reputable
May 6, 2015

I would not want to Overclock it. I would even think about getting an FX 4350

Sweg Bucket

Reputable
May 6, 2015
100fps is Average for almost everyone on CSGO. My rig isn't really old, it's only a year or two old, my previous motherboard was fried so my technician got a replacement.

Sweg Bucket

Reputable
May 6, 2015

My problem is lack of experience. I would have difficulties setting up a new Mobo especially when it comes to connecting cables and power supply.

Sweg Bucket

Reputable
May 6, 2015
It's been proven though that more fps increases smoothness even with a 60hz monitor, the difference can be felt. At 100 fps the game feels more stuttery and unpredictable, but when I am able to reach a constant 200 fps the game feels much smoother and I feel less input lag. In a game like CSGO smoothness is important. I even switch to 75hz (4:3 ratio) just for the extra smoothness because at Native res the game is stuttery and sometimes unplayable to me.

Then get an 860K instead.

You will probably need to overclock what ever you use to get 200+ FPS. CS:GO is very CPU intensive.

Sweg Bucket

Reputable
May 6, 2015

I actually am thinking about getting the 860k now. Any tips on installation or anything? Would Thermal paste be included with the stock cooler?

The stock cooler will come with thermal paste.

I know you say that you do not want to overclock, but it is a relatively simple thing for that chip (860K) and a modest overclock will give useful benefits. If you think you might want to do that ever, I would install an aftermarket CPU cooler when you change CPUs. If you never overclock, it will keep your CPU nice and cool, and if you want to try, you can without having to take the system apart again and install a new cooler.

Solution

Sweg Bucket

Reputable
May 6, 2015

Okay, I'll consider getting the 860K and I will invest into getting an after market cooler (Preferably the EVO 212). Before doing so I will take a closer look into my system and make sure nothing else is causing low performance. Thanks for the help guys. :)

TRENDING THREADS