CPU upgrade causing restarts while booting

Bobo888

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I have just purchased a second hand Q6600 on ebay but I have tried all day and cannot get it work. The furthest I got with it was the windows log in screen and then the computer just restarts. It also did the same while trying to install a fresh copy of windows 7. I have now rebuilt the computer with my old processor and it works fine. So it doesn't look like any of my other hardware is to blame. I am out of ideas so any advice is appreciated.

Without knowing the rest of your system, It's kinda hard to know if there could be any compatibility issues.

Try underclocking the processor to get into windows and run prime95. Perhaps the CPU is unstable for some reason? Do you get a bluescreen?

Perhaps your power supply is insufficient? Since I don't know your power supply or the power draw of your previous CPU though I can't really assume.

Same with the bios. Perhaps you have an older motherboard that doesn't support the q6600. If so, a bios update would be in order. But of course, I don't know your motherboard?

In the worst case scenario, the CPU has been permanently damaged by the previous owner. That would explain the ebay sale.

Bobo888

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Ok sorry for the lack of info, I was waiting to see if anyone replied.

My current system is:

MSI P7N Diamond (bios 1.2)
Core 2 Duo E4500 (Currently at 3.2ghz)
AC Freezer 7 Pro
Gtx260
3gb Corsair Dominator XMS2 1066
OCZ Mod Xstream 780 PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate RC

All stayed the same when I installed the Q6600 which was recognised by the BIOS and it worked for a short time while I tried to install windows. So I am hoping that it isn't faulty as this would be a headache to sort on ebay.

When it restarts there is no BSOD, it just restarts as if I had pressed the reset button.

Bobo888

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
That's something I did do earlier, it was only about 20C. Which is so low I thought it may have been a false reading. Although without being able to check the temperature while it is trying to run windows it is kind of hard to tell.

Bobo888

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Finally got it working. Not sure exactly what fixed it but I think it might have been the cpu voltage. As it appears to have an incredibly low Vid of about 1.1 which is maybe too low to be stable. Thanks for the help guys.