[SOLVED] CPU upgrade/cooling questions

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
So I am looking to upgrade my cpu to a Ryzen 7 5800X if you guys think that is a good option and that my specs are capable of being compatible with it(mainly referring to my PSU & motherboard) as it’s in stock currently on Newegg.

I am also still pretty new to learning about building gaming PC’s in general. I’m going to link what my PC exactly looks like here because I want to know if something like this -

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-liqu...m_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-35-181-216-_-02282021

would be compatible with my build as I have 6 fans in my case already. Any help here is appreciated!

Specifications of my current gaming PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 4-Core, 8-Thread 3.70GHz with Radeon RX Graphics Processor
AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB Graphics Card
OLOy CL16 DDR4 RAM - 16GB(2x8GB) - 3000MHz
ASRock ATX Motherboard - B450 Pro4
SSD - Samsung 850 EVO M.2 - 250GB
HDD - Hitachi (HUS724020ALA640) 2TB Internal Hard Drive
PSU - ARESGAME 750W Power Supply Semi Modular 80+ Bronze
OS - Windows 10 Pro
Fans - (x6) GIM KB-28 RGB Case Fans - 120mm
Case - Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Gaming PC Computer Case - Prism S - Tempered Glass + White Steel

Photos of build -

Solution
1. Most all of the white coolers I looked at have 120mm fans.
They are not as effective as a twin tower unit with 140mm fans.
Probably the best is the phanteks
https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-ph-tc12pe-ph-tc14pe/p/N82E16835709001
New stock will include a am4 mounting bracket.

2. I would never buy a aio cooler when it is possible to fit an equally well performing air cooler.
If you do not like your current case, try to identify why and buy a replacement that fixes those defects.

My functional criteria:
a) It must fit your parts, atx or matx. Do you need a 5.25" bay?
b) At least two front 120/140mm intakes. 140mm will be quieter and move more air.
c) An easily removed washable front filter to keep your case clean.
d)...
Oh lord that h150i is beautiful.
Ok, now onto the main question xD.
A 80$ 750W bronze psu doesnt sounds promising imo.
BUTTT since you are not changing your GPU i would keep it until you can swap it.
Do you plan on overclocking the 5800X?
I would suggest a new psu alongside a better motherboard if you do decide on overclocking.
The CPU cooler would almost certainly be enough.
One thign thou.
You HAAAVEEEE to paint that VEGA 56 in white.
Grab some white psu extensions for the GPU/MOBO and CPU power cables and you have your self a beautiful white system.
Just my opinion : )

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
Oh lord that h150i is beautiful.
Ok, now onto the main question xD.
A 80$ 750W bronze psu doesnt sounds promising imo.
BUTTT since you are not changing your GPU i would keep it until you can swap it.
Do you plan on overclocking the 5800X?
I would suggest a new psu alongside a better motherboard if you do decide on overclocking.
The CPU cooler would almost certainly be enough.
One thign thou.
You HAAAVEEEE to paint that VEGA 56 in white.
Grab some white psu extensions for the GPU/MOBO and CPU power cables and you have your self a beautiful white system.
Just my opinion : )
I mean as far as overclocking the cpu, I honestly don't think that I will. I feel that I don't know enough about overclocking cpu's yet. I'm pretty aware of overclocking gpu's though at least lol.
And I just saw the image of the Vega 56 in white... that looks amazing haha. Stupid question #1) How would I go about painting it - with what exactly?
& stupid question #2) The AIO, I get that the cpu cooler obviously goes over the actual cpu, but where would the 3 fans/radiator go in my case exactly?
thanks!

I mean as far as overclocking the cpu, I honestly don't think that I will. I feel that I don't know enough about overclocking cpu's yet. I'm pretty aware of overclocking gpu's though at least lol.
And I just saw the image of the Vega 56 in white... that looks amazing haha. Stupid question #1) How would I go about painting it - with what exactly?
& stupid question #2) The AIO, I get that the cpu cooler obviously goes over the actual cpu, but where would the 3 fans/radiator go in my case exactly?
thanks!
"I mean as far as overclocking the cpu, I honestly don't think that I will. " what you did there, i saw ;)
Stupid question 1) (not stupid, but lets call it that xD ) ~ take the card appart, disconnect all the cables for the cooler, RADEON LED logo, and take of the heatsink, and later spray paint it white.
Do 2 coats.
1st is just so the plastic accepts it, 2nd one to finish it up.
Here is the teardown:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BdT1NxCN-4

Stupid question 2) i actually havent even noticed that ur case doesnt have 360mm radiator support on the top and front panel, you are going to need to go with the 240mm version of the cooler and mount it at the front

Actually no, mounting the AIO on the front would be a terror.
Your case doesnt have any sort of vents for the front panel.
You are way better of going with a AIR cpu cooler.
Something like this would cool the 5800X nicely.
I mean technically you could mount the 240mm aio on the side, but i think a AIR cooler would be a better idea.

The only place that you could mount a 360 aio radiator is on the bottom.
Unfortunately, that puts the pump part at the top of the loop.
When air eventually enters the system, and it will, you will get problems with cavitation in the pump.
I think I would go with air.
Noctua NH-d15s will fit the 160mm allowed and will cool just as well as a 240 aio.
As a plus, it will cost half as much, be more reliable , quieter, need no maintenance, and... will not leak.
While leaks are uncommon, they do have disastrous consequences.

Reactions: DirtySZN

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
The only place that you could mount a 360 aio radiator is on the bottom.
Unfortunately, that puts the pump part at the top of the loop.
When air eventually enters the system, and it will, you will get problems with cavitation in the pump.
I think I would go with air.
Noctua NH-d15s will fit the 160mm allowed and will cool just as well as a 240 aio.
As a plus, it will cost half as much, be more reliable , quieter, need no maintenance, and... will not leak.
While leaks are uncommon, they do have disastrous consequences.
So I have a few questions based off what you just said here:
  1. I know this is asking a lot, but aesthetics are definitely important to my build - is there a white RGB air cooler you can link me that would be compatible? If not RGB, at least fully white
  2. Would getting a brand new case(such as a NZXT case) in order to have the 360 aio in the build just doing too much? I only ask this because I was thinking about changing cases anyway but I’m not sure how much someone would charge me for taking everything apart and building it again.

So I have a few questions based off what you just said here:
  1. I know this is asking a lot, but aesthetics are definitely important to my build - is there a white RGB air cooler you can link me that would be compatible? If not RGB, at least fully white
  2. Would getting a brand new case(such as a NZXT case) in order to have the 360 aio in the build just doing too much? I only ask this because I was thinking about changing cases anyway but I’m not sure how much someone would charge me for taking everything apart and building it again.
As much as it pains me to say this, but Lian Li O11 Dynamic White would you look good with you build and fans.
Other alternative imo is the Corsair 4000D Airflow, add a 3 pack of SP 120 fans for 40$ and you would get a really nice white case.
Both will cost around 130$ with fans.

1. Most all of the white coolers I looked at have 120mm fans.
They are not as effective as a twin tower unit with 140mm fans.
Probably the best is the phanteks
https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-ph-tc12pe-ph-tc14pe/p/N82E16835709001
New stock will include a am4 mounting bracket.

2. I would never buy a aio cooler when it is possible to fit an equally well performing air cooler.
If you do not like your current case, try to identify why and buy a replacement that fixes those defects.

My functional criteria:
a) It must fit your parts, atx or matx. Do you need a 5.25" bay?
b) At least two front 120/140mm intakes. 140mm will be quieter and move more air.
c) An easily removed washable front filter to keep your case clean.
d) Sufficient room for a good air cooler. typically, at least 160mm.

Aesthetics... only YOU can determine that.
Personally, I find the RGB winky blinky approach to be distracting and a bit juvenile.

Reactions: DirtySZN
Solution