[SOLVED] CPU upgrade for laptop

Feb 7, 2020
Hello,
i recently decided to check on my old Fujitsu Amilo Pi3525 laptop. It has Intel P7350, 2 GB RAM and 5400 rpm HDD. For about 50-60$ i can get 240 GB SSD, 4 GB HDD and new processor. For the RAM and the HDD im sure i can upgrade them. Not sure about the CPU. I have to open it to chek if it possible to swap it. From here http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_2_Duo_Mobile/P7350_(Socket_P__Penryn).html#related i can tell that the best CPU for the same socket and TDP is P9600.
So the question is - are there any other limitaitons that wont let me swap the CPU?

Last edited:
Solution
Ive just opend it to check. The CPU is with lock/unlock mechanism so there is no problem swaping it. I already found from where to buy the CPU. Anything else that will stop me? Can i check whats the heat difference between both CPUs? And what about BIOS support? Will the MB and BIOS support this CPU since there is no Amilo PI model with such CPU?
Heat and motherboard compatibility. You look good on heat:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-P7350-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-P9600/966vs981

You'll need to do some research for the compatibility. Scratch that--just read the rest of the...
You write that becasue you've seen it or becasue its a laptop? Ive seen videos of CPU swap of other Amilo series laptops.
I initially assumed it was soldered since most modern laptops have soldered cpus, but socket P is apparently not soldered. My bad. There shouldnt be anything holding you back for an upgrade besides finding a cpu so old and perhaps your laptops cooling solution.

Feb 7, 2020
Ive just opend it to check. The CPU is with lock/unlock mechanism so there is no problem swaping it. I already found from where to buy the CPU. Anything else that will stop me? Can i check whats the heat difference between both CPUs? And what about BIOS support? Will the MB and BIOS support this CPU since there is no Amilo PI model with such CPU?

Feb 7, 2020
Look up the motherboard model (should be a model number on it somewhere) and see if the CPU you want to get is listed on a support page. If there's no info for it then your best bet is to update the BIOS to the newest version and hope it works with the new CPU.
The newest BIOS is form 2010, but the CPU is from 2008.
The MB is FSC Siemens 82GF50000-C0F
The info i found is
Sockel
Intel 478 Mobile​
unterstützte CPUs
Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel Pentium 4
Intel Centrino 2​
Chipsatz
Intel PM45 Express​

Heat and motherboard compatibility. You look good on heat:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-P7350-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-P9600/966vs981

You'll need to do some research for the compatibility. Scratch that--just read the rest of the posts--you look solid for a great upgrade! The chipset even supports the P9700, which is only slightly higher tdp at 28w vs 25w. Depending on the laptop design, you might be able to get away with it to squeeze out a little bit more. :)

Last edited:
Solution