CPU Upgrade For my PC

Budget restrictions are the perfect reason. If that's what you have to spend, then that's it. It's why we say it's a price/performance ratio and not performance/price.

reaganbfrazier

Honorable
Aug 17, 2017

Thanks for understanding haha, how exactly do i update bios though

Download CPUz and on the "mainboard" tab it will show your version. Next go to the HP website, look up the machine drivers and compare the BIOS version there. There should be installation instructions there, if needed. This can be a risky operation so be patient during the process.

Usually on older systems you put the new bios on a USB stick and boot from that stick. Then the bios updates, and you will reboot after removing the stick.

I'd just try the CPU without updating the bios. From looking around at the HP site, it sounds to me like support for that CPU was included from the start.

One bit of advice, get an SSD if you don't already have one. It will make your computer a lot more usable. A small 120gb for your OS and a few key programs is all you need. Sandisk makes some cheap ones that work alright, like the 'Plus' and 'Ultra' series.