CPU upgrade for Packard Bell Platinum Pro 650

G

Hello again all!

As a christmas gift, i've decided to take it upon myself to do a little upgrading for a friend of mine.

Her computer is a PB Platinum Pro 650. The specs are thus:

pentium 166
80MB Ram, EDO Max 128.
8X cd-rom
2.5 GB hard drive

That's about all I know. I'm specifically looking at a CPU upgrade. Can anyone tell me the extent that this board can muscle?

Thanks all!

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!

G

You might try the Kingston Technologies "Turbochip 400". I think they replace the 166 with an AMD K6-2. About $140 US.

Check www.pricewatch.com and click on CPU's by brand.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by btemple on 11/27/00 09:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

hmm...
There's an idea.
I wasn't looking at spending 140 for a cpu to a system with dead end ram. :) But thanks though. I'll take a look. I've been around long enough to know every little bit helps.
She wants a cd-burner too. Hmm... but burning with a 166? ick.

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!

G

One additional thing to watch out for is PB's almost notoriously proprietary design. The OS software they get might choke with anything as different as an AMD. Price should be a bit lower than 140$ though. Even the highest K6-II I saw on pricewatch was less than 60$ for 550 (though that's buying from generic no-name seller which can be a moderate risk). K6-II 400 would probably be more than enough and I'd heard rumor of some stability issues with the K6 line over 400 MHz. However, never found the reason for the rumor (came from work which is tech support for computer manufacturer).

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."

G

I've used K6-2's from 400 to 550. (Not the 475 though. :) ) Never had a problem with any stability except the 450. And that was an earlier design with 2.4V. In the end, it was the heat. A proper heatsink cleared that up rightly quick.

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!