[SOLVED] CPU Upgrade for RTX 2080 (Suggestions Required)

MoNeY2TH

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
Hey Folks,

I recently purchased RTX 2080 FE to upgrade myself from my old GTX 960 2GB. I love the Card and I'm now planning to upgrade my CPU and MoBo only. I would like to keep gaming on my current Monitor and have no plans in future to upgrade it.

I'm eyeing the Intel only and in that Core i7-7700K (or any near its price).

Is that a good future ready CPU for my GPU ? When I say future ready I mean to run it till the end of 2020 atleast.

Please suggest if this CPU would be a good buy. Please be as descriptive as you can be. Oh and do let me know if that PSU can handle it.

Here is my Rig -

Intel Core i5 6600 (Non K)(3.3 GHz)
Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3
Nvidia RTX 2080 Founder's Edition
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 (2400 MHz)
Seasonic M-12 Evo 620W PSU
Samsung Curved Gaming Monitor 1080p 144Hz

Solution
Well without upgrading anything else in your setup your best option would be the 7700(k). It will be a better cpu compared to your 6600 especially if the games you are playing are able to make use of the extra threads offered. Although we are seeing a shift to games utilising more threads as time goes past I'm confident that the 7700(k) will stay relevant for the foreseeable future. Just make sure you update your bios before putting in the new cpu.
Well without upgrading anything else in your setup your best option would be the 7700(k). It will be a better cpu compared to your 6600 especially if the games you are playing are able to make use of the extra threads offered. Although we are seeing a shift to games utilising more threads as time goes past I'm confident that the 7700(k) will stay relevant for the foreseeable future. Just make sure you update your bios before putting in the new cpu.

Solution
Apr 8, 2019
Hey Folks,

I recently purchased RTX 2080 FE to upgrade myself from my old GTX 960 2GB. I love the Card and I'm now planning to upgrade my CPU and MoBo only. I would like to keep gaming on my current Monitor and have no plans in future to upgrade it.

I'm eyeing the Intel only and in that Core i7-7700K (or any near its price).

Is that a good future ready CPU for my GPU ? When I say future ready I mean to run it till the end of 2020 atleast.

Please suggest if this CPU would be a good buy. Please be as descriptive as you can be. Oh and do let me know if that PSU can handle it.

Here is my Rig -

Intel Core i5 6600 (Non K)(3.3 GHz)
Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3
Nvidia RTX 2080 Founder's Edition
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 (2400 MHz)
Seasonic M-12 Evo 620W PSU
Samsung Curved Gaming Monitor 1080p 144Hz

Hi..is your 2080 RTX FE still in good condition for now?