[SOLVED] CPU upgrade for streaming/gaming/recording

Chuzo

Prominent
Feb 23, 2019
Hey everyone, so I've been trying to stream ow/fortnite and recently apex legends (720p60) while playing full hd and the highest fps i can since i have a 144 hz monitor but my system doesn't seem to handle it. I've been doing some research and I think it's mainly because of my cpu (i5-6600k) and I would like to know what I should get. I was recommended the i9-9900k but afterwards thought about the i7-9700k mainly because of the 9900's price. Is there a big difference between them due to thread count?
On top of this I'd also want to run discord, spotify and chrome.

build:
16 gb ram
i5 6600k
gtx 1060 evga 6gb
asus maximus viii hero
corsair h100i v2

<3

Solution
SMT on modern CPUs can get you up to about 40% extra performance in sufficiently heavily threaded workloads. If you don't need that many threads though, the benefits will be much less to none. An i7-9700k should be fine at least for now, though this could change as more games and software becomes more heavily threaded now that 6C6T for Intel and 6C12T for AMD have solidly become the new mid-range standard.

InvalidError

Titan
SMT on modern CPUs can get you up to about 40% extra performance in sufficiently heavily threaded workloads. If you don't need that many threads though, the benefits will be much less to none. An i7-9700k should be fine at least for now, though this could change as more games and software becomes more heavily threaded now that 6C6T for Intel and 6C12T for AMD have solidly become the new mid-range standard.

Solution
You would actually be pleased with any of the 9th gen K processors.
All will OC to the 5.0 level.
The main difference is how many cores/threads you get.
9600K has 6
9700K has 8
9900K has 16.
If your budget permits a 9700K, that is about the best.
You will also need a Z390 based motherboard.

Have you overclocked your 6600K?
You might be able to get 4.6 out of it.