[SOLVED] CPU Upgrade From 2600x to 3700x - Now Wont Boot

Sandymanbran

Prominent
Feb 23, 2019
Today I bought a new CPU in hopes to do a minor upgrade. Unfortunately, my PC will not boot when the new chip is in the AM4 socket. If I put the old CPU back in, the system boots fine and I can get into Windows.

My PC:
  • ASUS X470-F Gaming Motherboard (With the latest v5809 BIOS and v2.09.28.509 Chipset)
  • Ryzen 5 2600x (OLD - boots fine) being upgraded to Ryzen 7 3700x (NEW - wont boot)
  • GTX 1080 Ti
  • EVGA Supernova 750 Gold PSU

When I attempt to boot with the new CPU (3700x) all my fans and RGB work. But there is a 'DRAM' EZ Fix light illuminated orange on my motherboard. My display never turns on and stays in its Standby state. GPU fans will barely spin for a second and then don't move.

When I put the old CPU (2600x) back in, I can boot just fine. Monitor goes from orange to blue and display works... All 3 GPU fans are spinning at the RPM I set them to.. etc. etc.
But then I tried the 3700x again, and again no luck.

Yes - I've checked the pins. Nothing is bent. This is a brand new CPU that was just unboxed hours ago.
Yes - I've triple checked all cables on both the PSU and motherboard. Everything is plugged in. Again - if I swap back to the old CPU it boots fine.
Yes - I've tried only using one stick of RAM in all 4 DINN slots... no luck.

Anybody have any suggestions?? I'm wondering if I should just return the 3700x and call it quits. I just wanted to treat myself for the holidays :(

Thanks!

Solution
I agree with the above posts.
Install the 3700x then Clear CMOS using these steps:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
CLRTC jumper location can be seen on page 1-2 here:
E14093_ROG_STRIX_X470-F_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf (asus.com)
Plug the PC back in.
Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
Repeatedly tap the DEL key
A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
Save and exit the BIOS.
Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed...

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I agree with the above posts.
Install the 3700x then Clear CMOS using these steps:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
CLRTC jumper location can be seen on page 1-2 here:
E14093_ROG_STRIX_X470-F_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf (asus.com)
Plug the PC back in.
Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
Repeatedly tap the DEL key
A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
Save and exit the BIOS.
Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

Solution

Sandymanbran

Prominent
Feb 23, 2019
I have not tried clearing CMOS yet, but appreciate the feedback and will try tomorrow! Is that something that always has to be done with CPU upgrades? I am running an overclock on the 2600x currently, so it makes sense...

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@Sandymanbran
yep, CPU is like a ship that holds the operating system. Captain can not begin to fly if plane is not in the intended spot. Mouse and usb devices are like the lunch. you can get in and ask for chicken on the fly.

But seriously, I take my SSD from my AMD desktop and plug it into my intel laptop, nothing goes wrong.

May 25, 2020
Today I bought a new CPU in hopes to do a minor upgrade. Unfortunately, my PC will not boot when the new chip is in the AM4 socket. If I put the old CPU back in, the system boots fine and I can get into Windows.

My PC:
  • ASUS X470-F Gaming Motherboard (With the latest v5809 BIOS and v2.09.28.509 Chipset)
  • Ryzen 5 2600x (OLD - boots fine) being upgraded to Ryzen 7 3700x (NEW - wont boot)
  • GTX 1080 Ti
  • EVGA Supernova 750 Gold PSU
When I attempt to boot with the new CPU (3700x) all my fans and RGB work. But there is a 'DRAM' EZ Fix light illuminated orange on my motherboard. My display never turns on and stays in its Standby state. GPU fans will barely spin for a second and then don't move.

When I put the old CPU (2600x) back in, I can boot just fine. Monitor goes from orange to blue and display works... All 3 GPU fans are spinning at the RPM I set them to.. etc. etc.
But then I tried the 3700x again, and again no luck.

Yes - I've checked the pins. Nothing is bent. This is a brand new CPU that was just unboxed hours ago.
Yes - I've triple checked all cables on both the PSU and motherboard. Everything is plugged in. Again - if I swap back to the old CPU it boots fine.
Yes - I've tried only using one stick of RAM in all 4 DINN slots... no luck.

Anybody have any suggestions?? I'm wondering if I should just return the 3700x and call it quits. I just wanted to treat myself for the holidays :(

Thanks!

yo, dude !

Try bios Version 5603 if it didn't work then return the CPU.