CPU Upgrade from 4690 to i5-7600k. Worth it?

lambdaserver

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Is it worth to upgrade from i5-4690 to i5-7600k?
(along with other component upgrade, mobo etc.)
planning to make a new rig build.. or should i just save up for i5 8600k / i7--?

thank you

Solution
I guess it would depend on exact prices, but overall yes. In general newer is always better for PC parts unless you can find a great deal on older stuff. Even more so in this case, as Intel increased the # of cores on all their mainstream CPUs starting with 8th gen for the first time in like a decade (and ryzen offering more cores as well).
Which is it? 6700k or 7600k, you have one in the title and a different one in the post.

Honestly, unless you are getting a great price on used but good hardware from a trustworthy source I probably wouldn't recommend either of those options.

You have to buy a motherboard and memory anyhow, and the price of those isn't going to change, and you can get an 8th gen Intel CPU for about the same price as either of those Skylake or Kaby lake CPUs anyhow, or a Ryzen based system for less.

What is the system for, gaming? Something else? If it's for gaming, what graphics card do you have or plan to get?

lambdaserver

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015

whoops sorry, i meant i5 7600k.
currently using i5 4690, with 1060 3gb OC,
and yeah, mostly for gaming. and not gonna upgrade my GPU for a while..

lambdaserver

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015

So, it's better to pick either gen 8th/9th or Ryzen. Is Ryzen 5 2600x better than taking 7th gen?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I guess it would depend on exact prices, but overall yes. In general newer is always better for PC parts unless you can find a great deal on older stuff. Even more so in this case, as Intel increased the # of cores on all their mainstream CPUs starting with 8th gen for the first time in like a decade (and ryzen offering more cores as well).

Solution