[SOLVED] CPU upgrade from 6700K

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I don't do any work or encoding on my PC, it's exclusively a gaming and internet machine. I'm on a Z170 with a 6700K and a RTX3080 & 16G Ram. Most gaming is done at 4K so I know that the processor itself will have little to no effect on performance. Is there any significant gains going to a Z570 Chipset or newest AMD equivalent? The two major factors might be Ram speed and that i'm using 2 NVME M2 drives.
My original plan was to wait for the next AMD or Intel platforms. I would like to upgrade my current 4K 60hz monitor to one that does 100+hz as they're staring to come out more frequently.

Solution
I don't do any work or encoding on my PC, it's exclusively a gaming and internet machine. I'm on a Z170 with a 6700K and a RTX3080 & 16G Ram. Most gaming is done at 4K so I know that the processor itself will have little to no effect on performance. Is there any significant gains going to a Z570 Chipset or newest AMD equivalent? The two major factors might be Ram speed and that i'm using 2 NVME M2 drives.
My original plan was to wait for the next AMD or Intel platforms. I would like to upgrade my current 4K 60hz monitor to one that does 100+hz as they're staring to come out more frequently.

Another thing to keep in mind is that altough your RTX 3080 is basically an awesome card by todays standards there are lots of games...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Really depends on the game engine the game uses.
Some can use more than 4 cores. 6700K 4 cores with hyperthreading about is equal to 4.8 cores. They say 4 cores 8 threads but hyperthreading adds about 20% per core.

Games loaded on a M.2 drive has really nothing to do with anything just a SSD for games would give the same performance.

Memory speed with Intel don't count a lot unless your just using the slow 2133 but it will affect the top and 1% low if you use faster memory.

Even the 11400F would be faster and add some actual true cores.
This site sux but gives you a clue.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-11400F/3502vs4111

In general play with what you have but set everything to low and off this will give you a general ideal of what the processor can produce as far as FPS in any given game.

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I am using 2133 RAM so would go to whatever was close to fastest of whatever AM4 or latest Intel accepts. The part where i question is that i game in 4K. I know i could reap gains if I was at 1080 or even 1440.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
for benchmarks can we use trusted software like 3DMark instead of userbenchmark?

As to the CPU, I think a good upgrade would be the i5 11400F or the i7 10700K. I heard the i7 can be found as low as $280 in places, while the i5 11400F offers two less cores but better single threaded performance.

Another thing to keep in mind is that altough your RTX 3080 is basically an awesome card by todays standards there are lots of games (specially AAA ones) on which you wont see them go past 100Hz (refesh rate) unless you turn down some graphics settings and/or use DLSS.

4K still a demanding resolution for todays GPUs, games runs a lot better than with GTX 1xxx and RTX 2xxx, but still thats a demanding resolution.

Solution