Question CPU upgrade from a core2Duo to a QUAD Core

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
I bought a Msi 7513 775 motherboard at a boot fair for £5. I took the Heatsink fan off to see what CPU it had in it and found out it was an E8600 so I want to upgrade it to a Q6600 or Q9400 or Q9500. I understand I will have to get a different Heatsink Fan can anyone tell me the number of the one I need? I have asked on eBay but no one seems to give a definitive answer.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
to the OP

you can check Aliexpress for a heatsink on lga 775 boards. Just type "lga 775 heatsink" or "lga 775 cpu cooler" (without the "") on the search bar.

got mine from there, using it for my Q9500, and it's been working fine for 3+ years now.

I suggest looking for one with a copper base. That's what I got.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wishbone1

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
Does it work in original config?
You need to test that before changing any parts.
Something else might be broken.

What might this be used for?
Yes, that CPU change is comparatively 'good',
But in the context of actual PC operations, both still bad.

Lastly...why are you asking people on fleabay for hardware advice?
I have not tried it, I can,t tell I build a PC. Well, they are the ones selling the stuff, they have not been much help though.:(The problem with all this is I could not get it back on there some of those pins broke off , it is a crap design. Why they are not screws instead of those push pins I don,t know.:(And looking at old forums from the times I am far from the only person who has had problems with them. I don,t know if it even works. I thought the board looked good at the time with the brass piping on it. is just a project for my first build. But there are so many different versions of Heatsink,fans out there, someone said they were interchangeable.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
to the OP

you can check Aliexpress for a heatsink on lga 775 boards. Just type "" or "lga 775 cpu cooler" (without the "") on the search bar.

got mine from there, using it for my Q9500, and it's been working fine for 3+ years now.

W
to the OP

you can check Aliexpress for a heatsink on lga 775 boards. Just type "lga 775 heatsink" or "lga 775 cpu cooler" (without the "") on the search bar.

Thanks for that Tac., I will give that a try:) At the end of the day i don,t want to spend too much on it. I was thinking of getting the same one as you , what is the number on your heatsink?
y one was an Akasa I only saw one on eBay open box for £13. But I take it that won't be the one for a Quad Core. This one has a coper base.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
Pins for WHAT?

The CPU cooler?

But you really really need to test this before you spend any more money.
You may have just paid someone £5 to take his broken trash from him.
I get your point but there is no way to do that untell I get a Heatsink fan. At least it has 4 GB of DDR Corsair Ram.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
W

Thanks for that Tac., I will give that a try:) At the end of the day i don,t want to spend too much on it. I was thinking of getting the same one as you , what is the number on your heatsink?
y one was an Akasa I only saw one on eBay open box for £13. But I take it that won't be the one for a Quad Core. This one has a coper base.

cooler of my Q9500 is Cooler Master 150c.

edit:

sadly, I can't find the variant with the copper base anymore.

but if you're looking for a cheap cooler for your lga 775 mobo. This should work. If shipping from Aliexpress would be too expensive, then you could look for it on Ebay. :)

Last edited:

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
cooler of my Q9500 is Cooler Master 150c.

edit:

sadly, I can't find the variant with the copper base anymore.

but if you're looking for a cheap cooler for your lga 775 mobo. This should work. If shipping from Aliexpress would be too expensive, then you could look for it on Ebay. :)

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
So a screw one will work mine was push on one? Did you originally have a push on one?I did see Cooler Master ones on eBay..The Intel ones have lots of different numbers on them,very confusing to me,:rolleyes:Thanks once again for your help , hope your day is going well.
Intel D95263-001 Socket 775 Heatsink & Fan Cooler £6,25
Intel D75716-002 Socket 775 Heatsink & Fan Cooler £5
I have just noticed something that is a socket 002 what does that mean?
AKASA Cooling Fan LGA 1151 Socket (H4) LGA 1150 LGA 775 Heat Sink CPU Cooler
this is the one I have.That one you mention on here is £15 on eBay which is too much.
A93 Cpu Cooler 95Mm Low Noise Cooling Fan Cooler Is Suitable for Lga 775/11 A4O5
I like it because it is screwed in rather than push pin.
PS how do you copy pictures on here?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The different Intel coolers are just different capacities. Some came on a 50w cpu, some came on 90w cpus etc.

Lga775 is lga775. That's all that's necessary. Any lga775 cooler will fit and work. It's dependant on exactly which lga775 cooler as to what temps you'll get. It's a Q6600, forget about the exact numbers, get the absolute biggest heatsink for lga775 you can justify spending money on. Those old cpus ran Hot.

You cannot post pictures directly to this site. It's a pc hardware/software site, so pictures posted from users pc's can often carry either personal information or virus. So to show pictures, you'd upload them to a 3rd party site like imgur.com or postimages.org and then paste the link here. Personal links to pictures on your cloud won't work either.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
my mobo originally had a screw cooler, changed it to push but I was not satisfied with the temps, finally changed again to a screw and it works great now.
Do you need a backplate on the Motherboard to use a screwd in one?
because mine does not have one. But I managed to fit one side of an old Dell screwd in one on there the heatsink is a different size of course. I would prefer a screw one to a push-in one.
I don,t know if it was a fluke or not,:rolleyes:
I have just bought a Backplate so i do need one,

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Push pins are a compression fit. The tip of the pin goes in the hole, then the center 'pin' pushes down and spreads the legs of the pushpin. Same concept as a drywall anchor and screw. Those coolers are very lightweight and pushpin mounting has definitive disadvantages, like busted pins or missing legs.

Screw type are a compression fit only in that the backplate acts as a giant nut/washer, spreading the load of the weight of the cooler away from the actual hole. So any cooler of respectable size is going to need a backplate as mainstream motherboards do not come with one attached, except the newest boards, instead relying on the cooler manufacturer to provide the correct one for the cooler, since most have proprietary mounting hardware.

Some backplate designs will swap between coolers, most will not.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Do you need a backplate on the Motherboard to use a screwd in one?
because mine does not have one. But I managed to fit one side of an old Dell screwd in one on there the heatsink is a different size of course. I would prefer a screw one to a push-in one.
I don,t know if it was a fluke or not,:rolleyes:
I have just bought a Backplate so i do need one,

yeah, you need backplate for screw coolers.

the original generic cooler of my mobo had a backplate, and with some difficulty I was able to remove.. to be able to use the push cooler with lights that I bought. The push cooler performed not very good.. so I purchased another screw cooler - the Cooler Master with copper base, which came with a backplate of it's own. It was easy to install the Cooler Master. I used thermal Grizzly as paste. Temps on are stable at 40+ on idle, and 60+ to the low 70's when gaming - it has been like that for more than 3 years now. :)

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
Push pins are a compression fit. The tip of the pin goes in the hole, then the center 'pin' pushes down and spreads the legs of the pushpin. Same concept as a drywall anchor and screw. Those coolers are very lightweight and pushpin mounting has definitive disadvantages, like busted pins or missing legs.

Screw type are a compression fit only in that the backplate acts as a giant nut/washer, spreading the load of the weight of the cooler away from the actual hole. So any cooler of respectable size is going to need a backplate as mainstream motherboards do not come with one attached, except the newest boards, instead relying on the cooler manufacturer to provide the correct one for the cooler, since most have proprietary mounting hardware.

Some backplate designs will swap between coolers, most will not.
That is very interesting, I just bought a Backplate but saw on Amazon that the screw-type ones come with them. But I can,t find any suitable ones at a decent price that is under £10.:rolleyes:

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
yeah, you need backplate for screw coolers.

the original generic cooler of my mobo had a backplate, and with some difficulty, I was able to remove.. to be able to use the push cooler with lights that I bought. The push cooler performed not very good.. so I purchased another screw cooler - the Cooler Master with copper base, which came with a backplate of its own. It was easy to install the Cooler Master. I used thermal Grizzly as paste. Temps on are stable at 40+ on idle, and 60+ to the low 70's when gaming - it has been like that for more than 3 years now. :)
Someone on another tec site gave me a link to Ali Express I clicked it but it said sorry we can,t deliver it to your address.?I thought you could buy anything no matter where you are in the world. It is a shame you can,t show pictures of products here.:confused_old:
I just saw this on F.M.P for £10
Acer G43T-AM with IO shield 6GB RAM (2x2GB, 2x1GB) DDR2 RAM
Dual Core E5700 Heatsink
Wifi Card (No antenna, will need to be added)
Full working order
Seems a good deal to me :)

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can show pictures, they just need to be in a form of a link that's publicly accessible, like a 3rd party site like imgur.com or postimages.org, where any personal or private information such as your pc's identity or ip address etc are not viewable. This keeps your person/pc seperate from this site for your protection and also means if you have virus or malware that they don't get transmitted to this site and anyone who uses it and looks at your picture.

Aliexpress ships worldwide, without discrimination, just like Amazon etc, but it's also a 3rd party seller, like Amazon, where Ali does all the advertising, and you pay them but the product is actually shipped from a different company, which might be subject to embargos, might have customs or trade issues/restrictions or just doesn't want to ship to your location for some funky reason only they know.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Someone on another tec site gave me a link to Ali Express I clicked it but it said sorry we can,t deliver it to your address.?I thought you could buy anything no matter where you are in the world. It is a shame you can,t show pictures of products here.:confused_old:
I just saw this on F.M.P for £10
Acer G43T-AM with IO shield 6GB RAM (2x2GB, 2x1GB) DDR2 RAM
Dual Core E5700 Heatsink
Wifi Card (No antenna, will need to be added)
Full working order
Seems a good deal to me :)

yeah, some stores in Aliexpress don't send to some parts of the world. You can search for the item on Ebay if you really need it.

cannot comment on the E5700, I never had a rig like that. I started from an e8400, which was later upgraded to a Q9500. The upgrade went without problems.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
yeah, some stores in Aliexpress don't send to some parts of the world. You can search for the item on Ebay if you really need it.

cannot comment on the E5700, I never had a rig like that. I started from an e8400, which was later upgraded to a Q9500. The upgrade went without problems.
That must be a lot better than the .E8400 the Q9500 that is.
.I got in touch with the seller ,i bet it has gone ,as it was posted four weeks ago.:(

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
You can show pictures, they just need to be in a form of a link that's publicly accessible, like a 3rd party site like imgur.com or postimages.org, where any personal or private information such as your pc's identity or ip address etc are not viewable. This keeps your person/pc seperate from this site for your protection and also means if you have virus or malware that they don't get transmitted to this site and anyone who uses it and looks at your picture.

Aliexpress ships worldwide, without discrimination, just like Amazon etc, but it's also a 3rd party seller, like Amazon, where Ali does all the advertising, and you pay them but the product is actually shipped from a different company, which might be subject to embargos, might have customs or trade issues/restrictions or just doesn't want to ship to your location for some funky reason only they know.
Thanks for explaining all that.:)I get your point about Aliexpress.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
That must be a lot better than the .E8400 the Q9500 that is.
.I got in touch with the seller ,i bet it has gone ,as it was posted four weeks ago.:(

btw, why are you trying to buy a pc with an e5700? This kind of pc is rather weak, it's even weaker than an e8400.

if you don't mind me asking. What's your goal with this pc? If it's just browsing youtube, and chatting perhaps on discord and forums, playing old games.. then a core 2 quad could still work fine. But if it's heavy gaming with the latest games, then that would be difficult.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
btw, why are you trying to buy a pc with an e5700? This kind of pc is rather weak, it's even weaker than an e8400.

if you don't mind me asking. What's your goal with this pc? If it's just browsing youtube, and chatting perhaps on discord and forums, playing old games.. then a core 2 quad could still work fine. But if it's heavy gaming with the latest games, then that would be difficult.
Playing old games.I just want to build my first PC on the cheap but it is not turning out that way..With the plastic bits on the ends of the pins breaking off.. i know it.s not going to play the latest games.I have a PC that can do that.
Can an Acer Foxconn HI.3670C.001 Heatsink & Fan with 4-Pin & 4-Wire work on something other than an Acer PC?

Last edited: