CPU Upgrade from FX 6350 to what? New or Used?

xaephod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
I have a FX-6350 OCed to 4.3Ghz. 8 Gigs of ram and a GTX 970, and a SSD and HDD. The system runs fine, but its too slow in games. I have a 60Hz monitor, and in a game like Planetside 2, The framerates jump from high 20s to 40s. I rarely see it pegged to 60...or ever. I know its not the GPU, because I took this GPU from my old rig which had a 2500K and ran Planetside 2 at 60fps all day. Is the FX just a dog I should let lie? I can try to OC it more (with an evo212). But, I also want to run Oculus Rift on this box.

So my question is, do I upgrade to a new cpu? (I would like to go as cheap as possible) or get a used CPU like a xeon I see on ebay for cheap? Or ever an Ivy Bridge I5 K chip? (Figure Sandy is too old). Or, get one of those G4560?

I just need it to:
1: Run Planetside at 60FPS all day long on Ultra settings
2: Run Oculus Rift perfectly.

This is a secondary PC, my main is an I7-6700K OCed to 4.6Ghz with a R9-Fury X.

So, what do you think? (I've been itching to build an old Xeon rig, but I realize those are better for content creation.)

Solution
You'd be better off with a newer or at least somewhat recent i5 at least if not i7 or ryzen. Intel still has an ipc and clock speed advantage over ryzen but ryzen's ipc improved dramatically from the fx line. That's what's likely hurting performance. People have tested planetside 2 with multicore cpu's and found 6 cores don't offer any significant advantage over 4 so the additional fx cores aren't helping you. You can overclock but when ipc is low overclocks don't provide as much benefit.

Strong ipc and core speed seem they would benefit planetside but I'm sure vr has heftier requirements so if that's also a must I'd base the build around that. Either way you go, newer intel or amd ryzen you're looking at a new cpu, motherboard, ddr4...

MRBANG1

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Hi, well Oculus rift is the more demanding of the two, and since you say perfectly these are the requirements on their own webpage
NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater.
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater.
8GB+ RAM.
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output.
2x USB 3.0 ports.
Windows 7 SP1 or newer.

Seems to me your CPU does not meet the requirements.
Do you have 2 available USB 3.0 slots? If not, you won't meet the requirement.

Your CPU is old, and weak by most of today's standards. To properly run VR you're gonna need a beefier system.

You'd be better off with a newer or at least somewhat recent i5 at least if not i7 or ryzen. Intel still has an ipc and clock speed advantage over ryzen but ryzen's ipc improved dramatically from the fx line. That's what's likely hurting performance. People have tested planetside 2 with multicore cpu's and found 6 cores don't offer any significant advantage over 4 so the additional fx cores aren't helping you. You can overclock but when ipc is low overclocks don't provide as much benefit.

Strong ipc and core speed seem they would benefit planetside but I'm sure vr has heftier requirements so if that's also a must I'd base the build around that. Either way you go, newer intel or amd ryzen you're looking at a new cpu, motherboard, ddr4 ram and a reinstall of windows.

Solution