CPU upgrade from i5 4570?

Henri3794

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Last month I put together my first gaming rig. I used the i5 4570 with an h87 Asrock board, and WIndforce GTX 770. I know this isn't a bad processor, and upgrading so soon seems wasteful, but i'd love to invest in a higher quality, overclockable CPU soon with a better mobo. What do you guys think, should I grab a K series or higher end AMD in the next few months, or wait it out until the next releases? If you know when these will be please let me know! Constructive criticism is encouraged!

Solution
Answer is easy, there is nothing out ATM that this CPU can't handle on highest settings...there is really no need to upgrade that part of your build you should get a better GPU if you want more performance in games...unless you are streaming and recording while playing and doing bunch of stuff this CPU is perfectly fine my man.

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Answer is easy, there is nothing out ATM that this CPU can't handle on highest settings...there is really no need to upgrade that part of your build you should get a better GPU if you want more performance in games...unless you are streaming and recording while playing and doing bunch of stuff this CPU is perfectly fine my man.

Solution

shouden freud

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
you can get an unlocked part from Intel, but I don't think the returns in terms of FPS are gonna be spectacular or something,
although if you are mostly gonna play games, and you really want to upgrade get the i5 4670K, and in case you overclock get an after market cooler as well .
No point getting an AMD its only going to be a step backwards,

Henri3794

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

Seems sensible; I've heard news of an intel "Devil's Canyon" release, but perhaps it is more sensible to wait for broadwell.

No. Even with overclocking a "k" cpu on a z87 motherboard, the increase in performance isn't going to be near what you'll spend. You could sell your current setup to offset it, but then again it's not going to be worth it considering your time spent swapping out parts and money you'll be out.

With that setup, you probably won't want to be upgrading to the next generation either. The performance increase generation to generation since Sandy Bridge hasn't been that much. It might be different with the advent of DDR4 platforms, but that remains to be seen. As an example, if you owned a SB generation i5, we probably still wouldn't be telling you to upgrade.

Henri3794

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

From that perspective, my though process seems ridiculous... I will just stick with what I have, and in around 2-3 years, upgrade the CPU and get another 770 for sli.

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

sounds like a good plan, but in 2 or 3 years from now you will probably want more then 2gb of VRAM for newest games so unless your GPU is a 4gb variant i would assume that you will be looking at a new GTX970 6gb or equivalent...
but anyway holding on to that CPU does make a lot of sence! ;)

Henri3794

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
From that perspective, my though process seems ridiculous... I will just stick with what I have, and in around 2-3 years, upgrade the CPU and get another 770 for sli.[/quotemsg]

sounds like a good plan, but in 2 or 3 years from now you will probably want more then 2gb of VRAM for newest games so unless your GPU is a 4gb variant i would assume that you will be looking at a new GTX970 6gb or equivalent...
but anyway holding on to that CPU does make a lot of sence! ;)
[/quotemsg]

Great point; i suppose sli isn't in my computer's destiny, but I appreciate the input and assistance!

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

well...getting another 770 to go SLI should be your plan for next year, a couple months after the 800 series will hit the market many ppl will upgrade and it's gonna be a good time to get your hands on a used 770 on the cheap...