[SOLVED] CPU upgrade from Intel G630 to I5 2400.

Dec 10, 2019
I have upgraded my pc's processor from an Intel G630 to an I5 2400. Now my problem is that the new cpu is heating (40-50 celsius without load and 60-70 with some browsing), and not fast enough. CPU usage at 100, when unzipping a larger file. The IPDT test went fine. I've changed the heatsink paste several times and reinstalled Win10, in-out mb battery. The pc case is a sff Acer Veriton. I'm not an expert so maybe i've missed something. What's the problem.
Thank you very much for your help.
Szabi from Hungary

Solution
Hey there,

Yes, but what cooler did you use? The G630 is a 65w CPU, the I5 is 95w CPU. If you used the same cooler for the G630 on the I5, it will not cool it sufficiently. You need an appropriate cooler.
Most certainly. That's why your temps are higher at idle and load. I wouldn't be worried about the CPU hitting 100% usage, that may be the case depending on what software you use to test.

The most important thing is the cooler. It's not deisgned for a higher TDP CPU, so the temps will always be higher, and may even cause little glitches on screen or funny, random shutdowns.

List your full PC specs so we can see what mobo you have etc. Then we can advice of a cooler if they are still available.

Reactions: szabikasza
Dec 10, 2019
Most certainly. That's why your temps are higher at idle and load. I wouldn't be worried about the CPU hitting 100% usage, that may be the case depending on what software you use to test.

The most important thing is the cooler. It's not deisgned for a higher TDP CPU, so the temps will always be higher, and may even cause little glitches on screen or funny, random shutdowns.

List your full PC specs so we can see what mobo you have etc. Then we can advice of a cooler if they are still available.
This is a small form case Acer Veriton x4610g, stock power supply, 4*2 GB DDR3 1333 memory, GT730 2GB LP VGA, and the i5 with g630 cooling. :)

Your mobo is an LGA1155 - Q65 chipset as far as I can see. Maybe a something like a CM Hyper 212 Evo might fit, but you would have to check all the dimensions of your case, to make sure it fits. That might work. Otherwise look out for a good low profile cooler that will fit your case.

Dec 10, 2019
Your mobo is an LGA1155 - Q65 chipset as far as I can see. Maybe a something like a CM Hyper 212 Evo might fit, but you would have to check all the dimensions of your case, to make sure it fits. That might work. Otherwise look out for a good low profile cooler that will fit your case.
Yes it is, sorry I did not mention It. I will definietly look out for a new cooler. I'm not expecting too much from this setup, maybe playing some GTA V. :)
Thank you for your help.

racecar56

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
I hate to break it, but looking up the Acer Veriton X4610G, I can tell you that it's way too small for a Hyper 212...unless you forgo the side panel, maybe. I have a pretty similar Acer machine (a Pentium-based one, likely a close relative), and I can attest to its small size. The stock CPU fan bumps right up against the PSU, so it's a tight fit for any cooler. As such, I'd be surprised if any cooler with a 120mm fan, unless very specially designed, would properly fit in this machine.

This could be a pretty hard situation, and I'll explain why: you most probably have an aluminum-base cooler, and your 95W Core i5 processor would benefit from a copper-base cooler...and it's gotta fit in the case, which likely limits your options greatly. Essentially, you have to hope that Acer made a PC akin to yours with a 95W processor.

Not to fear, because according to my research, the X4618G exists, and it comes with faster CPUs, such as the i5-2400 or i7-2600! If you can find a cooler out of one of these systems somewhere on eBay or the like, that would most likely do it, since it'd be a cooler prepared for the 95W TDP.

Another possibility would be a small, aftermarket cooler. I do see some on NewEgg that may do the trick.

I hope I've been helpful. Best of luck!

Dec 10, 2019
I hate to break it, but looking up the Acer Veriton X4610G, I can tell you that it's way too small for a Hyper 212...unless you forgo the side panel, maybe. I have a pretty similar Acer machine (a Pentium-based one, likely a close relative), and I can attest to its small size. The stock CPU fan bumps right up against the PSU, so it's a tight fit for any cooler. As such, I'd be surprised if any cooler with a 120mm fan, unless very specially designed, would properly fit in this machine.

This could be a pretty hard situation, and I'll explain why: you most probably have an aluminum-base cooler, and your 95W Core i5 processor would benefit from a copper-base cooler...and it's gotta fit in the case, which likely limits your options greatly. Essentially, you have to hope that Acer made a PC akin to yours with a 95W processor.

Not to fear, because according to my research, the X4618G exists, and it comes with faster CPUs, such as the i5-2400 or i7-2600! If you can find a cooler out of one of these systems somewhere on eBay or the like, that would most likely do it, since it'd be a cooler prepared for the 95W TDP.

Another possibility would be a small, aftermarket cooler. I do see some on NewEgg that may do the trick.

I hope I've been helpful. Best of luck!
Of course, you were helpful. I have seen myself, that these Acer machines came out with i5, and i7 CPU's. That's why I was sure the upgrade will be plug n play.

Reactions: racecar56