Question CPU Upgrade gone wrong

May 15, 2023
Hello all,

Today I was upgrading my daughters Roblox PC from a Ryzen 3200g to a Ryzen 3 3100. After I installed the chip I was getting the flashing cursor after the bios screen. I assumed I needed to upgrade the bios so I dropped the old one back in and did that. After putting the Ryzen 3 3100 back in I am getting the same issue.

I went from a very old bios version (like 1.9) to 7.4. I am not sure if maybe a newer setting is throwing it off.

I have not tried putting the Ryzen 3 3200g back in yet, but I can.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Spec:
Windows 10
AsRock A320M/AC
Ryzen 3 3100
GTX 960
500gb ssd
Crap 550W PSU
16 GB (2x8) DDR4 2666

Where did you get the CPU from? New or used?

I'd pull the CPU and make absolutely certain there are no bent pins on it.

Are you saying that with the Ryzen 3 3100 you DO get a display, and can you get into the BIOS with that CPU installed? In other words, it will POST with that CPU installed but it will not boot into Windows, it just goes to a flashing cursor after it goes through the POST process? Or with that CPU installed you get nothing on the screen and cannot access the BIOS?

May 15, 2023
Got it used for real cheap lol. No bent pins.

I do get a display and I can get into the BIOS and the BIOs recognizes the 3100.

So yea it will post but I can't get into windows. Just the flashing cursor.

So, try this. Do a hard reset. Don't skip any steps, and follow these steps EXACTLY to the letter as outlined. Let's see what happens.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the BIOS to fully reset and force recreation of the hardware tables.
If that doesn't work, you may want to try putting the old CPU back in, then going to the AMD website and downloading and installing the latest AMD chipset drivers, then restarting the system until you are back in Windows, then shutting down, switching back to the 3100 and try again. Sometimes with some of these Ryzen parts they will not boot into Windows with a newer CPU if you are using a native Microsoft supplied chipset or graphics driver or an older version of the AMD driver.

This: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/a320

Last edited:
May 15, 2023
So, try this. Do a hard reset. Don't skip any steps, and follow these steps EXACTLY to the letter as outlined. Let's see what happens.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the BIOS to fully reset and force recreation of the hardware tables.
If that doesn't work, you may want to try putting the old CPU back in, then going to the AMD website and downloading and installing the latest AMD chipset drivers, then restarting the system until you are back in Windows, then shutting down, switching back to the 3100 and try again. Sometimes with some of these Ryzen parts they will not boot into Windows with a newer CPU if you are using a native Microsoft supplied chipset or graphics driver or an older version of the AMD driver.

This: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/a320

Completed all these steps exactly.

Put the old CPU, in worked.

Updated the chipet drivers, reinstalled the 3100 and it did not fix the issue.

Windows will still not load up and I have the blinking cursor.

D

Deleted member 2947362

in your bios do you have TPM enabled and secure boot with CSM diabled?

It could be to do with secure boot ? maybe because you have change the CPU and trying to boot into the OS secure boot might be blocking it.

I don't know if that is the case but I know the black screen your talking about when you first turn on your PC it just sits in black screen flashing with cursor

May 15, 2023
in your bios do you have TPM enabled and secure boot with CSM diabled?

It could be to do with secure boot ? maybe because you have change the CPU and trying to boot into the OS secure boot might be blocking it.

I don't know if that is the case but I know the black screen your talking about when you first turn on your PC it just sits in black screen flashing with cursor
Secure boot is disabled and when I turn disable CSM my hardrive no longer shows up in the bios.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2947362

Secure boot is disabled and when I turn disable CSM my hardrive no longer shows up in the bios.

when I done this, I left secure boot enabled I think lol it was early hours of the morning, so just try with it either enabled first or if not try it disabled

Try going in the BIOS turn on CSM, when I turned CSM on I set all the Boot devices to UEFI only saved settings and exited the BIOS.

Once the computer rebooted (before it boots to windows) I went right back in the BIOS and disabled CSM saved settings and exited the BIOS

From what I read It's trying to boot off a drive or partition that's either not bootable or not installed

It worked for me, Now when I first turn on my PC or restart from windows once the PC reboot's no more black screen with flashing cursor before the motherboard post's and loads windows.

When my PC first done it just thought it was something to do with TPM and Secure boot, after reading your post I decided to try and workout what it was doing it.

Thinking about it a bit more, it might be when the motherboard boots it could be the graphics card causing it because graphics card might not be in UEFI mode and the motherboard is waiting before posting? (that makes more sense to me at least)

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't matter if you have a UEFI installation, which for any system as new as yours you SHOULD have. With a proper UEFI installation the drive is not going to show up in the list of boot devices. Instead, "Windows boot manager" is what you should see, and that is correct for a UEFI installation. Otherwise you have a legacy installation, which isn't recommended, but here is what I'd recommend that you try to do unless you are happy to simply go back to the old CPU.

With the old CPU in, go into Windows and backup everything that is important and that you can't afford to lose. Backup your browser bookmarks, any important documents, files, folders, movies, music, etc. to another location like a secondary drive, external drive, thumb drive, optical disc or cloud storage.

Go to the Microsoft website and create new Windows installation media using the Media creation tool which can be found at the following link. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

You will need a flash drive with at least 8GB of space to create the installation media on.

Power off, swap out the CPUs (Might be worth mentioning here, because you never know, that each time you swap out the CPU it's probably a good idea to make sure you repaste) and then go into the BIOS. Make sure CSM is disabled and Secure boot is enabled. TPM does not need to be enabled for Windows 10 UEFI installation but it probably won't hurt to have it enabled either. Go to the exit tab and save BIOS settings. Depending, you may need to save and exit BIOS to do this, then go back into the BIOS and on the exit tab find the boot override option and choose the flash drive you created the installation media on. It should boot to the flash drive and the Windows installer should begin.

Then, follow this process, exactly. If at any point during the process there is a problem then there is probably a problem with the CPU that you bought used, because there would be no other reason at this point to still be having problems so long as there are no bent pins on the CPU since it works completely fine with the old CPU installed. Probably a good idea to read through my Windows 10 clean installation guide at least once, maybe twice, before you begin any of this process, just so you are completely familiar with the process as I've outlined it.

Reactions: helper800
D

Deleted member 2947362

CSM disables secure boot you have to disable CSM to allow secure boot

I would just try that first if you already have setup a GPT UEFI drive with your current install of windows, either way make sure in your BIOS settings all your boot devices are set to boot UEFI only, that will include/ensure your GPU will post in UEFI. as far as I'm aware at least.

That is assuming your graphics card has UEFI support BIOS and not just legacy support Bios.

EDIT

Think might have wires crossed here lol

The black screen with flashing cursor I'm talking about, appears the very second you turn on the computer before the motherboard post screen where you would go to motherboard BIOS

Now I'm wondering do you mean computer post's fine but when it get's to the point of loading windows it hangs at a black screen with flashing cursor? lol which would mean yeah it's probs to do with your boot drive order UEFI and poss even SATA mode setting IDE not AHCI device.

meh way to many late nights for me lol

Duh... I just read your post again and see the little word 'After' PMSL oh well I do try at least lol...

Last edited by a moderator: