[SOLVED] CPU upgrade in a legacy build...worth it?

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
EDIT: I think the I7 2600K is the best I can get for this socket, and nearly the same as the 2700k.
Any advice appreciated but think I am set on spending £60 on a used processor to tide me over till next year, unless anyone has any other ideas. Thanks all.

Original message follows:
I've reviewed other threads and I think I know the answer will be 'upgrade it all!'

I'm looking at upgrading the below, and my first thoughts were 'CPU is the bottleneck' but then I thought, I need a new motherboard for a socket for a decent CPU...and then I thought 'oh yeah, the RAM is still DDR3 so that won't be compatible with a new mobo...

So, I'm running this rig:

Mobo: Gigabyte Intel Board DQ67SW Socket LGA1155
CPU: Intel i5 2400 3.1
Memory: 16gb DDR3 RAM
GPU: GTX 960 2gb
Storage: 2x SSD 1x HDD
PSU: 650W Antec NeoECO 80+ Bronze

A lot of games are fine with the GPU though it's not first rate, but the processor is a consistent bottleneck (happy to be corrected).

So my question is double-ended:
is there any CPU I can get that would fit the DQ67SW (Socket H2?) and still be ok with games like Witcher 3, PUBG, Insurgency Sandstorm, Mordhau, etc? Something like an i5-4350, would that give me enough of a performance uplift to justify a £50 outlay for a year or so, or would I not really notice the uplift?
Or is there a decent CPU (or what's the best CPU) I could put in that set up to negate having to upgrade the Mobo and RAM at the same time?

I might just be better off saving toward the inevitable (and rapidly approach) bull CPU/Mobo/Memory upgrade, but I'd like to limp to that point where possible.

EDIT: I may have found an answer, if the best CPU I can get for my mobo is: Intel Core I7-2700K... assuming that hasn't changed...?

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
I think the "upgrade it all! " is the right thing to do here.
Paying even just £60 for a used i7 2600k is hardly worth the money.
And with that upgrade you'd just make your GPU the bottleneck.
Just keep what you have until you can build something new.
EDIT: I think the I7 2600K is the best I can get for this socket, and nearly the same as the 2700k.
Any advice appreciated but think I am set on spending £60 on a used processor to tide me over till next year, unless anyone has any other ideas. Thanks all.

Original message follows:
I've reviewed other threads and I think I know the answer will be 'upgrade it all!'

I'm looking at upgrading the below, and my first thoughts were 'CPU is the bottleneck' but then I thought, I need a new motherboard for a socket for a decent CPU...and then I thought 'oh yeah, the RAM is still DDR3 so that won't be compatible with a new mobo...

So, I'm running this rig:

Mobo: Gigabyte Intel Board DQ67SW Socket LGA1155
CPU: Intel i5 2400 3.1
Memory: 16gb DDR3 RAM
GPU: GTX 960 2gb
Storage: 2x SSD 1x HDD
PSU: 650W Antec NeoECO 80+ Bronze

A lot of games are fine with the GPU though it's not first rate, but the processor is a consistent bottleneck (happy to be corrected).

So my question is double-ended:
is there any CPU I can get that would fit the DQ67SW (Socket H2?) and still be ok with games like Witcher 3, PUBG, Insurgency Sandstorm, Mordhau, etc? Something like an i5-4350, would that give me enough of a performance uplift to justify a £50 outlay for a year or so, or would I not really notice the uplift?
Or is there a decent CPU (or what's the best CPU) I could put in that set up to negate having to upgrade the Mobo and RAM at the same time?

I might just be better off saving toward the inevitable (and rapidly approach) bull CPU/Mobo/Memory upgrade, but I'd like to limp to that point where possible.

EDIT: I may have found an answer, if the best CPU I can get for my mobo is: Intel Core I7-2700K... assuming that hasn't changed...?

Thank you all in advance.
That CPU would bring you just very marginal benefit.

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I think the fastest you can put in that board is an i7-2700k.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/DQ67SW.html

They are about $100 on EBay used.

It will speed you up this much.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2400+@+3.10GHz

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2700K+@+3.50GHz&id=881

that should be plenty for your GPU....although I'm a little surprised your current CPU can't handle it.

Thanks - the CPU and GPU are fine, it's just the high-processing stuff like physics modelling that my CPU struggles with.
I found one i7 2600k for £60, which seems a bit of a bargain, but then if I will barely notice the benefit...

I think the "upgrade it all! " is the right thing to do here.
Paying even just £60 for a used i7 2600k is hardly worth the money.
And with that upgrade you'd just make your GPU the bottleneck.
Just keep what you have until you can build something new.

Reactions: deusvolt
Solution