[SOLVED] Cpu Upgrade Issue

Dec 18, 2020
I Upgraded my old intel i3-3220 to a i5-2400 and when i turned on my PC, the performance dropped alot and i cant even open games without them crashing a minute after launch.
my pc specs if needed:
Nvidia gt710
intel i5-2400
250 watt power supply
intel stock cooler
(please dont ask why the specs are so bad)

Solution
check the pins on the i5 - you may actually have a defective CPU - also check your msconfig settings ( if you have to disable cores, you're better off with the Ivy Bridge i3 )

so what do i have to do because when right now im using the i5 and i cant even open a app without it crashing like 5 minutes after
it's mostly a side-grade as you went from newer 2-cores 4 threads 55W CPU to 4-cores 4 threads @95W. The newer Ivy Bridge had a higher base clock and probably ran 10-15% faster per clock. The i5 would only perform better when 3 or more cores were fully utilized. PS the crash may be due to the added draw on your PSU

Last edited:
"250 watt power supply "

250watt power supply may not be enough for the i5. Keep in mind that 95w is the TDP, not the actual power draw. You may need to get a bigger supply. You could also try turning off turbo, or fixing the frequency. Perhaps if you mother board had an eco mode or other features for power savings, you could enable them.

Your old i3 was a 55w tdp chip.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@Mlg998
You should throttle your cpu. In BIOS settings. Perhaps you can underclock it, disable some cores.

Your new cpu uses 40w more.

Do you have dvd driver? Disconnect it. Even if you have usb flash disks, take them out. Have speakers? Yank them out.

Dec 18, 2020
@Mlg998
You should throttle your cpu. In BIOS settings. Perhaps you can underclock it, disable some cores.

Your new cpu uses 40w more.

Do you have dvd driver? Disconnect it. Even if you have usb flash disks, take them out. Have speakers? Yank them out.
i disabled 1 core and put basically everything i could to eco mode and it still lags alot and also if i do 2 cores the pc would just get stuck on the windows screen so should i take out the i5 and put the i3 back in?

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@Mr.Spock
you're right about bios. but disabling the cores didn't work.
may be if he knows the i5 is fine by itself, worth upgrading psu.
up until now, we don't know replacing psu will actually help.
i5 is 75% faster in benchmarks. I rather keep it with disabled cores until I afford psu (that is IF psu will be enough to resolve)