[SOLVED] CPU upgrade makes windows boot freeze (i5 9600k to i9 9900k)

Dec 24, 2018
Hi, So today I got my I9 9900k, When I took it out of the box I realized it almost seemed as if there had already been thermal paste on the cpu but I ignored it and continued to switching out my cpu's. Once I switched I went into the bios and made sure temperatures were fine and that it could read the cpu, so I tried booting windows and it froze nearly instantly. So I tried booting windows through a USB and it froze instantly as well, anyone knows any type of fix or is the cpu somehow broken? Thanks
Specs:
RTX 2080
Corsair vengeance 16 gb 3200mhz
m.2 ssd ( boot drive)
  • I5 9600k tot a i9 9900k
  • Asus prime z390
  • Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M RGB

Thanks for any help.

pkincy

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
And while you are in the bios, go back to default settings in case you have been running an OC on the 9600. If you make any change and have a problem you need to simplify things as much as possible. Default bios settings, even one stick of ram, iGPU rather than the 2080, no add in cards, etc. And if it looked like the CPU was not new, keep that in mind in case you continue to have boot problems even with everything dumbed down. I hate RMAs because they take time, but sometimes that is where you have to go. Let us know. I am a bit concerned as the Z390 board should work with the I9-9900k even with the older bios.

Dec 24, 2018
Dec 24, 2018
And while you are in the bios, go back to default settings in case you have been running an OC on the 9600. If you make any change and have a problem you need to simplify things as much as possible. Default bios settings, even one stick of ram, iGPU rather than the 2080, no add in cards, etc. And if it looked like the CPU was not new, keep that in mind in case you continue to have boot problems even with everything dumbed down. I hate RMAs because they take time, but sometimes that is where you have to go. Let us know. I am a bit concerned as the Z390 board should work with the I9-9900k even with the older bios.
I updated the bios and it seems as if everything is working fine