[SOLVED] CPU upgrade not registering.

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
I am using a Supermicro X8DT6/X8DTE motherboard.

Just upgraded from 2x Xeon x5550 processors to 2x Xeon x5687 processors.

On startup (before Windows shows up) the screen says exactly:
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5687 @ 3.60GHz
Speed : 2.66 GHz Count :
// This has to be incorrect because the x5687 has a 3.6GHz clock speed and 3.9GHz boost speed so 2.66GHz doesn't match to either one of those values. I am thinking either the 2.66 reading is from the previous x5550s I had in there OR from being falsely recognized as an E5640.

In HWMONITOR the processors are recognized as 'e5640' and the GHz range from 1600 to 2669 MHz.
In Device Manager under Processors all threads are recognized as 'X5687 @ 3.6GHz'.

Am I supposed to reset BIOS or something to register the update? I ordered the x5687s for the increased clock speed, but HWMONITOR is showing that they are not running past 2.66 GHz.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Solution
Do you have any BIOS updates pending update for your board? I've looked through both the models specified above in your thread and came across these;
X8DTE
X8DT6
both lead me to this BIOS version;
https://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/results.aspx

If you don't have any BIOS updates pending, you could ty and disconnect everything from the wall and display and then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes, press and hold the power button to discharge any residual power on the board. Replace the battery and see if you can get to BIOS and see if the processor is as advertised(on the IHS.

Lutfij

Titan
Do you have any BIOS updates pending update for your board? I've looked through both the models specified above in your thread and came across these;
X8DTE
X8DT6

If you don't have any BIOS updates pending, you could ty and disconnect everything from the wall and display and then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes, press and hold the power button to discharge any residual power on the board. Replace the battery and see if you can get to BIOS and see if the processor is as advertised(on the IHS.

Solution

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
X8DTE
X8DT6

Thanks and yes I was trying to avoid updating the BIOS. But I went ahead and just went through the process to the latest BIOS as suggested and now the cpu is registering correctly as 3.60 GHz in both places and the BIOS date has changed from 2010 to 2018.

I was hoping that the IPMI initialization would be improved by updating the BIOS, but looks like its still taking 9 minutes. Are you familiar enough with Supermicro to navigate around that?