CPU upgrade on 810 mobo

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I repaired a pos dell tower unit for a friend, model 5fgul, it had an intel
810 based mobo with the integrated video. It has a PIII 600 cpu on it, I can
get a 1200 g PIII for $20, the mobo has the newest bios (11/2001). Will this
cpu work in the mobo?

No. The new CPU is a Tualatin - the old one, a Coppermine. They are
not interchangeable.

Depending on the exact model of system, you may be able to use it - IF
it's an 810e board, and IF you buy a PowerLeap Neo converter socket -
and use the Intel (not Dell) BIOS.

"Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>I repaired a pos dell tower unit for a friend, model 5fgul, it had an intel
>810 based mobo with the integrated video. It has a PIII 600 cpu on it, I
>can get a 1200 g PIII for $20, the mobo has the newest bios (11/2001). Will
>this cpu work in the mobo?
>
> --

There's no 5fgul model that I am aware of. Go to Support.Dell.com and enter
the service tag from the back of the machine. It will tell you a lot, not
the least the model number. Bring it back here.

Tom

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> No. The new CPU is a Tualatin - the old one, a Coppermine. They are not
> interchangeable.
>
> Depending on the exact model of system, you may be able to use it - IF
> it's an 810e board, and IF you buy a PowerLeap Neo converter socket - and
> use the Intel (not Dell) BIOS.

Looks to be a Dimension Lxxxr with a PIII 600/133 CPU but with PC100 SDRAM -
810e chipset. (Or at least it was originally).

Specs. are here:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dmum/specs.htm

The OP needs to take that service tag ( 5fgul ) and enter it here to see the
original configuration and what he's actually got now:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/en/product_support_hub?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn

Stew

if its an 810 chipset, then its a rambus system.

He can run a tually with an adapter (powerleap, and others).

- NuTs

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> if its an 810 chipset, then its a rambus system.
>
> He can run a tually with an adapter (powerleap, and others).
>
> - NuTs

I'm sure you meant to say 820 or 850 chipset. It's not. It's the 810 which
has supports only SDRAM.

Stew

No, actually ... I was thinking 860, not 810. My Bad.

- NuTs

> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
>> if its an 810 chipset, then its a rambus system.
>>
>> He can run a tually with an adapter (powerleap, and others).
>>
>> - NuTs
>>

> I'm sure you meant to say 820 or 850 chipset. It's not. It's the 810
> which has supports only SDRAM.
>

> Stew

No. The fastest off-the-shelf CPU you can run in the system is a 1.1GHz Celeron
with an operating voltage of 1.65v or 1.7v, I forget which... Ben Myers

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:36:47 GMT, "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote:

>I repaired a pos dell tower unit for a friend, model 5fgul, it had an intel
>810 based mobo with the integrated video. It has a PIII 600 cpu on it, I can
>get a 1200 g PIII for $20, the mobo has the newest bios (11/2001). Will this
>cpu work in the mobo?
>
>--

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have already enterered the service tag number at Dell and it tells nothing
of upgradability. The answers here range from the system sitting beside me
does not exist to it will work with an adapter. The last Intel system I had
was a 286. Have been building my own AMD since. I think I will throw out the
Dell mobo and non standard PSU and put a new mobo and PSU. That would cost
less than an adapter.

"Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>I have already enterered the service tag number at Dell and it tells
>nothing of upgradability. The answers here range from the system sitting
>beside me does not exist to it will work with an adapter. The last Intel
>system I had was a 286. Have been building my own AMD since. I think I will
>throw out the Dell mobo and non standard PSU and put a new mobo and PSU.
>That would cost less than an adapter.

The system can be upgraded to a PIII/1Ghz/133 Socket 370 chip - according
to the link and specs I posted. The RAM tops out at 512mb max (2x256mb)

For this machine, I won't even get into justifying the cost of a powerleap
adapter/Celeron CPU upgrade. It's not worth it.

However, I'd rather see you throw away the money on the adapter than attempt
to put a retail board into a Dell case with proprietary connectors (power
supply, front power switch to mobo, etc.).

Keep in mind that your friend could pickup a used Dell PIII or P4
(full-sized tower) on ebay (with OS) for somewhere between $200 and $350.

Stew

"Dave" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>I have already enterered the service tag number at Dell and it tells
>nothing of upgradability. The answers here range from the system sitting
>beside me does not exist to it will work with an adapter. The last Intel
>system I had was a 286. Have been building my own AMD since. I think I will
>throw out the Dell mobo and non standard PSU and put a new mobo and PSU.
>That would cost less than an adapter.

if you can get a good board and PSU for less than $10, go for it. You wont
be able to though.

Something else to think about is all the other connectors (power, reset,
etc) that may not work with a retail board.

Just try one of these:
http://search.ebay.com/tualatin-adapter_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

and you will probably be fine.

-NuTs

Right. Neither Dell nor any other name brand computer manufacturer provides
terribly useful information about system upgrades. The best info you might find
would come from the service manual for an entire product family (e.g. all the
Dell LxxxR machines, or specific models of IBM computers), when said manual
enumerates all the processors and memory modules as spare parts.

Replacing the motherboard and power supply in a Dell LxxxR chassis is not
recommended. A standard ATX power supply is not a problem. But the front panel
connector on the Dell microATX motherboard is very different from the generic
ones. It is absolutely no fun to kludge together front panel wiring on this
model of computer. (By contrast, I've found it easy to do on some Compaq
DeskPros, because the wire leads to the buttons and LEDs are modular and can be
wired separately.)

If you are within spitting distance of Harvard MA (Routes I-495 and MA 2), I'd
be willinng to work out some sort of trade of a generic chassis, power supply
and mobo for the Dell one... Ben Myers

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:58:09 GMT, "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote:

>I have already enterered the service tag number at Dell and it tells nothing
>of upgradability. The answers here range from the system sitting beside me
>does not exist to it will work with an adapter. The last Intel system I had
>was a 286. Have been building my own AMD since. I think I will throw out the
>Dell mobo and non standard PSU and put a new mobo and PSU. That would cost
>less than an adapter.
>
>--

>> No. The fastest off-the-shelf CPU you can run in the system is a 1.1GHz
>> Celeron
>> with an operating voltage of 1.65v or 1.7v, I forget which... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:36:47 GMT, "Dave" <a@a.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I repaired a pos dell tower unit for a friend, model 5fgul, it had an
>>>intel
>>>810 based mobo with the integrated video. It has a PIII 600 cpu on it, I
>>>can
>>>get a 1200 g PIII for $20, the mobo has the newest bios (11/2001). Will
>>>this
>>>cpu work in the mobo?
>>>
>>>--

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have tons of old parts laying around, I was just wanting to know, and now
have found out what the highest cpu I could put in the mobo. I will see if
I can find the coppermine 1.13 around anywhere. Thanks all.