[SOLVED] CPU upgrade or GPU upgrade?

ItsKieranL

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
I am currently in between getting a new motherboard and CPU this consisting of a i7 8700k and some z370 motherboard, or keeping my current i7 6700k and AsRock z270 taichi and upgrading my GTX 1060 6gb to a RTX 2070 super.

Current specs:
Case - NZXT H500
CPU / Processor - I7 6700k
GPU - GTX 1060 6GB
Power supply - cm650x
motherboard - Asrock z270 taichi
CPU cooler - Hyper 212x evo
ram - 2x4 Corsair vengeance LPX 2400 - CMK8GX4M2A2400C14
1x8 Hyper fury - HX424C15FB2/8

Which would gain more performance / fps as i'll mainly be gaming at 144hz, so fps i kind of a big deal here.

Solution
My future upgrades consist of getting 8x2 (16gb ram), 2070 super, new mobo z370 and then i7 8700k. This is all within a year as im not in any rush to get the components. The ram will hopefully be the same throughout both mobos.
hopefully so , research research research and then when you are sure it is all correct then do some more research and ask lol
Oct 8, 2019
So should i do the GPU upgrade, and then later in the future do the CPU, then the ram?

IMO you would be best upgrading your RAM first. the way you have it right now with the single stick you are losing out on the dual channel capabilities.

For example if your 1X 8GB stick is advertised at 2400Mhz chances are that as a single stick you are only getting 1200Mhz from it as it is not using dual channel. Most RAM advertised is done so using the dual channel speeds. My RAM in this old PC is advertised as DDR3 1600 Mhz but that is only true if using two sticks of RAM as a single stick it would only be 800Mhz

Reactions: ItsKieranL

ItsKieranL

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
IMO you would be best upgrading your RAM first. the way you have it right now with the single stick you are losing out on the dual channel capabilities.

For example if your 1X 8GB stick is advertised at 2400Mhz chances are that as a single stick you are only getting 1200Mhz from it as it is not using dual channel. Most RAM advertised is done so using the dual channel speeds. My RAM in this old PC is advertised as DDR3 1600 Mhz but that is only true if using two sticks of RAM as a single stick it would only be 800Mhz
Would getting 16GB c15 2x8 Be a straight performance increase or?

Oct 8, 2019
Would getting 16GB c15 2x8 Be a straight performance increase or?

Yes it would definitely be a performance upgrade. How much of an upgrade really depends on your PC use. My systems are older and I can tell you when I went from a single stick 1X 4GB to 2X 2GB (NOTE same amount of RAM) in my Core i5-2400 the performance gains were very noticible. So upgrading from 1X 8GB to 2X 8GB should free up a bottleneck for you. Not only will you gain 8GB of RAM but you will also gain the second channel you are losing right now.

I game on my current PC which you can see the specs for in my sig but it is a 6 year old processor and graphics card and I I get 75 to 100+ fos on meduim high 1080p settings in both the Witcher and WoW BfA I know these are not the most power hungry games out there but this system handles them well. I can also play these games on my older Core i5 system on medium low 1080p settings. This can all seem like too much info but you may find that you don't need to upgrade right now (especially since new products are about to drop) I hope this helps you make your decision.

Bottom Line is I would upgrade the RAM first to 16 GB (2X 8GB) then see how much increase you have, then I would upgrade the GPU and finally the CPU. This presumes you intend to stay with your current mobo , decide before you do anything because if you are going to upgrade mobo then your choice of RAM may change (DDR3 / DDR4 etc) and your CPU may be a different gen. When you think about upgrading think about what you amy want to do in the future before you spend a single penny.

ItsKieranL

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Yes it would definitely be a performance upgrade. How much of an upgrade really depends on your PC use. My systems are older and I can tell you when I went from a single stick 1X 4GB to 2X 2GB (NOTE same amount of RAM) in my Core i5-2400 the performance gains were very noticible. So upgrading from 1X 8GB to 2X 8GB should free up a bottleneck for you. Not only will you gain 8GB of RAM but you will also gain the second channel you are losing right now.

I game on my current PC which you can see the specs for in my sig but it is a 6 year old processor and graphics card and I I get 75 to 100+ fos on meduim high 1080p settings in both the Witcher and WoW BfA I know these are not the most power hungry games out there but this system handles them well. I can also play these games on my older Core i5 system on medium low 1080p settings. This can all seem like too much info but you may find that you don't need to upgrade right now (especially since new products are about to drop) I hope this helps you make your decision.

Bottom Line is I would upgrade the RAM first to 16 GB (2X 8GB) then see how much increase you have, then I would upgrade the GPU and finally the CPU. This presumes you intend to stay with your current mobo , decide before you do anything because if you are going to upgrade mobo then your choice of RAM may change (DDR3 / DDR4 etc) and your CPU may be a different gen. When you think about upgrading think about what you amy want to do in the future before you spend a single penny.
My future upgrades consist of getting 8x2 (16gb ram), 2070 super, new mobo z370 and then i7 8700k. This is all within a year as im not in any rush to get the components. The ram will hopefully be the same throughout both mobos.

Oct 8, 2019
hopefully so , research research research and then when you are sure it is all correct then do some more research and ask lol

Solution