Question CPU upgrade possibilities

Cooneyboii

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Hi guys,
I was doing some research into getting a new cpu. I was looking at new and used AMD chips/mobo cause in Ireland they generally seem to be cheaper price to performance and less hassle with upgrading later.
While I was first considering Getting a Ryzen chip and ugrading to the Am4 socket I saw an ad for the fx 9370 pre-owned and the performance upgrade to that from the fx6300 would be fairly noticeable.
My reasoning for this was cause this way I wouldn't have to change ram/mobo/cooler at all and i read that next year a new socket might have to be launched for the next generation of CPU's. So when/If that came out i could then just upgrade to AM4 for decreased pricing.
Considering all this and a tight college student budget, what do you guys recommend I do?
Thanks,
Eoin.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
how do you reason to upgrade from fx 6300 without changing motherboard? you will have to change motherboard in both cases. if i was you i would go with a ryzen system. even a ryzen 5 1400 would be a huge boost from fx 6300. budget ryzen 5 1600 or higher if you want better.

Cooneyboii

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
What are the parts you have now, and why do you want to upgrade?

Today, I would not spend a dime on a FX system that is all but obsolete.
Particularly not for a FX9370. It is a very hot overclocked FX8350 that requires insane power.
At the moment I have an Rx 580 nitro, Fx 6300 overclocked to 4.3Ghz with a am3 water cooler and 8gbs of RAM. Was just thinking maybe considering there may be another socket change i would be better waiting for that to come out if anything just for the drop in price of AM4 boards/cpu's.
I want to upgrade to get better performance in games and by far my CPU is the most limiting factor here.

Cooneyboii

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
how do you reason to upgrade from fx 6300 without changing motherboard? you will have to change motherboard in both cases. if i was you i would go with a ryzen system. even a ryzen 5 1400 would be a huge boost from fx 6300. budget ryzen 5 1600 or higher if you want better.
I wouldn't have to change motherboard if I kept within the piledriver series chipset. so any of the better FX chips.

I wouldn't have to change motherboard if I kept within the piledriver series chipset. so any of the better FX chips.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
It takes a very good one to run a FX-9370. Likely a 990fx chipset .
Regardless, You will still have a poor processor for gaming.
Your FX-6300 passmark rating is 6408. What is when your cpu is 100% busy on all 6 threads.
Not too common when gaming. Of usually more importance is the single thread performance for the FX-6300,
Which is 1407.
By comparison a modern i5-9400f with the same 6 cores has a rating of 12108/2397.
A similarly priced ryzen 5 2600X has 12 threads but a rating of only 14361/2142.
Take your pick for a nice upgrade.

In any case a significant upgrade will entail not only a cpu upgrade, motherboard change, but DDR4 ram also.

Reactions: RodroX
An R5-1600/B350 combo should be viable for $160, on sale; add $80 worth of DDR4 (8 GB x2/3200 MHz) and you are set. (I'd not jump to any quad c ore today if gaming is of concern, even if 4c/8t. For general surfing/office use, a 4c/8t has plenty of life still))

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
ok you mean upgrade to fx? yes that is possible but performance is not good.

fx8350 paired with a good gpu could possibly give you medium settings on 1080 p
for a while but upgrading to ryzen would be a better long term option. i would recommend for budget ryzen 5 1500x or 1600 even ryzen 5 1400 would be alot
better than upgrading to fx.

Last edited:
Sorry to said it like this but don't waste money on FX, not when (as other already mention) you can get a cheap Ryzen 5 1600 which will be a lot better than any of those old AMD CPU.

If you can spend the money you can get an Asrock B450 Pro 4 or an MSI Tomahawk MAX and paired with a Ryzen 5 2600 and get a huge bump in performance. Remember that Ryzen likes fast memory so don't forget to pick a decent 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MHz kit know that memory is fairly cheap. I will leave an build example down here:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.68 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $257.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-19 07:40 EST-0500

Later on you could add a cheap yet good Deepcool Gammaxx 400 cooler later on and overclock that 2600 to get even more performance out of it.

If you wana save some money just exchange the Ryzen 5 2600 with the R5 1600 and youre good to go and be able to upgrade in the next years!

Cheers

Hi guys,
I was doing some research into getting a new cpu. I was looking at new and used AMD chips/mobo cause in Ireland they generally seem to be cheaper price to performance and less hassle with upgrading later.
While I was first considering Getting a Ryzen chip and ugrading to the Am4 socket I saw an ad for the fx 9370 pre-owned and the performance upgrade to that from the fx6300 would be fairly noticeable.
My reasoning for this was cause this way I wouldn't have to change ram/mobo/cooler at all and i read that next year a new socket might have to be launched for the next generation of CPU's. So when/If that came out i could then just upgrade to AM4 for decreased pricing.
Considering all this and a tight college student budget, what do you guys recommend I do?
Thanks,
Eoin.
Wait until next year for the Ryzen 4000 to be released and get a B550motherboard or a B650/X670 or whatever it will be designated. Ryzen 4000 is suppose to be the last series of CPUs released for socket AM4. You could save money and instead buy a Ryzen 3000 series CPU next year when they will likely be discounted like the 2000 series was.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i wouldn't buy a fx cpu right now, any ryzen r3 will beat most fx easily, a r5 is worse, a r7 annihilates any fx

is a waste of time and money to buy such fx cpu right now, is hot, power hungry and needs a expensive 990 motherboard with waterrcooling aio to be overclocked properly and you still beat it with the r5, and then you overclock the r5 and gets even worse

am4 is expected to be replaced in the year 2021, but that is not guaranteed, even if it is replaced in that year, the socket is impressive, and will remain as a good choice for many years, many more than the fx you mention, that when being compared to the r3 looks like crap now, in the future will be more, right now no one should buy a fx cpu, the upgrade you mention is not a upgrade, is more slow cores that you will overclock and will not give you what you want, is a old cpu, not a ryzen cpu

buy a old motherboard, old cpu and old ram to save few dollars is a very bad idea, you are not saving, you are wasting money, because no one will buy from you that fx machine in a near future, so you loose that money there, is a considerably better investmen a r5 3600 or a 2600 and a new motherboard, with fast ddr4, 16gbs, put the gpu you have in there and you will regret not having done that before

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
I'd go with the AM4 and whatever AMD CPU works with your budget. Even if you get a fairly low performance CPU now, the AM4 socket gives you the option to upgrade to some of their most recent, powerful processors later.